5 hp Force by Mercury Marine outboard lower unit problems?!?!?!

I have a 5 hp force outboard that I was changing the water pump on and I pulled the drive shaft out on accident and the pinion fell out of place. So I drained the oil out and I tried to put it back with a extendable magnet but it just fell further in so I now I need to pull the hub. But I cant get the hub to come out. I took out the 4 screws but it wont come out. Tried heating it up with torch but still cant get it out. Not sure if I need a special puller or something? Does it just fit in there or does it screw in? I also tried shaking the lower unit upside down to get it to fall back into place but it didn't work. And also the forum wont let me upload pictures for some reason? Thanks in advance JM

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Hi Jr and :welcome:

Yes, the software for uploading is a bit pish.... What most of us do is load the pictures to photobucket, or your favourite image site and just post the link in-between the BB image codes, which are [ i m g ] your link here [ / i m g ] Obviously without the spaces between the letters of the BB codes... ;)

As for the engine. I don't have the service manual in front of me, but I do have the parts breakdown, and it looks like once the 4 screws are out you need to pull on the propshaft. One of the better ways of doing that is to secure the propshaft in a vice and tap the housing with a block of wood. So effectively driving the housing away from the propshaft. Don't go stupid on it, it should just slide out.... :D

Chris.......

Thanks Chris, Ill try that today. And also the engine runs really well, its got 135 compression and great spark. But when I run it in a barrel it does not spit any water out of the exhaust ports on the leg at any speed. But it does not get hot at all, I can run it for an hour and nothing gets hot. Should I be worried about this? Thanks JM

achris

More fish than mountain goat
It might be that in order for water to be spat out the relief holes the exhaust cavity pressure needs to be higher. In the barrel you can't put the load on the engine (and hence raise the exhaust cavity pressure) that you can out on the water. The water that normally spits out is just dribbling down the inside of the exhaust cavity.... That's about all I can think of...

Chris...

Thanks a lot Chris that's what I was thinking to, that's the same reason why my 1974 Johnson 9.9 doesn't spit water out of the blubber hole on muffs. Thanks JM

fishrdan

Admiral
I used to own a 5HP Force, somewhere around a 90 year model and have done the exact same thing as you, but it wasn't that hard to correct once the hub (end cap) is removed from the lower unit. I wouldn't heat up the hub as it contains the prop shaft seal and has a thick O-ring to seal it in the lower unit. As memory serves me (haven't had that OB for 10 years) you could insert 2 larger machine screws into 2 of the cap's 4 bolt holes, so it would "lift" the hub off the lower unit. (2 of the holes were threaded to accept a larger bolt that would press the hub off,,, well at least that's the way I remember it...)

If that fails, I would try tapping the hub at an angle that will drive it off,,, with a plastic dead-blow hammer. The plastic won't damage the paint/part and will help grip the painted surface as you're striking it

Thanks Fishrdan, ill try that today also. I tried Achris's idea but that didn't seem to work. Its really stuck in there! Will keep trying both, Thanks JM