LU out for new impeller. Need any other seals?

777funk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Curious if I should change any other seals while in there? It doesn't seem that any leak and there's no water in the LU oil. I hate to admit it but I took out the shift pivot pin and it leaked at that seal but seems to have sealed itself.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Since you stated that you took out the shift pivot pin, and seemed to successfully reinstalled it back and it is sealed again, does the shift rod move through the forward, neutral and reverse gears and work correctly now? Can you put it into forward gear and the prop spins forward? And neutral it spins either direction, and reverse only in reverse? Because if it doesn't NOW is the time to fix that issue. Not later when it is all reassembled again... And since you have it off, NOW is also the time to positively make sure the pivot pin IS properly sealed and not going to leak again. That could mean installing the proper new gasket or "O" ring.

777funk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That's all fine. I knew I did something bad when I pulled that screw out and saw it was a pin and wasn't a plug. But it was cold outside and somehow it stayed put while I quickly put it back where it belonged.

Jiggz

Captain
As mentioned, now is the time to test it to make sure it is shifting accordingly. Pulling up the lower shift rod would engage the prop shaft to the drive shaft. Hence, rotating the prop should also rotate the drive shaft . Push down the lower shift rod all the way and it should engage the prop shaft again and rotating it would rotate the drive shaft Do not try to rotate the drive shaft CCW (looking from the top) as this can damage the impeller fins. You can also test the rotation by turning the drive shaft CW and the prop should turn also. And finally, in-between the two up and down travel of the lower shift rod, it should go in neutral. Meaning turning the prop would not turn the drive shaft or vice versa.

777funk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, it's all fine as mentioned. I tested it right after I realized what I had just pulled out. It all stayed in place and shifts properly. It was very cold the day I pulled the pin so the thick oil must have held it in place.