changing a point system to electric on a small outboard

todd281

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi , I own a 1968 Chrysler 6.6 hp motor. The ID. plate says its a model 601, but after researching , I have concluded that it is a 6018. Points and condensers for this little engine are rare, and very expensive. Has anyone ever changed system like this out to a pointless/ electronic type system? I see it mentioned, on larger type motors, here on the forum. Also there is talk of doing it to other small engines [lawnmowers and such] but I could not find anything on small outboard conversions.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Not sure they make anything that would work.
To make the coil fire you'd need a trigger to make it work.
The points can be crossed over to a cheaper automotive set.

todd281

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thank you . do you know where I could find a crossover #, or list , or somewhere to do it . NAPA just smiles and says good luck..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
First of all are the OLD point(s) total gone? If so and they simply can't be burnished to work properly again. you could take the old point(s) and go to an auto parts store and see if they can match the point up to some other type. It is worth the try and probably save a ton of money too. And if you are going to change the points, did you check the condensers as well? If you know how to use a multimeter (DVM, Digital Volt Meter), you can check to see if the condenser(s) are shorted, open or working. You could also take the condensers along to the auto parts store too. Because IF the condenser(s) are shorted, you could install all the points on Earth and it will never fire... And if the condenser is open, it will fire, but the life expectancy of the points will be short lived... As far as converting to some newer pointless setup, unless there is a fitted system you can change over to made specially for your engine, it would be a hit and miss proposition to get it to run properly. And, seriously, a point/condenser system will run equally as well for a long long time... JMHO!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
in addition to what gm280 said

remember, chrysler, briggs and stratton, etc. all purchased the points at the time from companys like standard ignition, delco remy, prestolite, etc. simply take the points to a small engine repair shop, carquest, or a napa, ask them to match it up, not look them up.

if you want to verify how good the automotive store is, tell them you need a set of valve covers for a small block chevrolet. if the guy asks you "perimeter or center?" then buy parts there. if the guy asks you for "year, make, model?" then walk out and go somewhere else.

todd281

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The motor is firing on both cylinders now, but it was not when I got it . I took the flywheel off and the points were green with corrosion. So I used a point file and cleaned them up some to see if I could get it to spark, and it did. I checked out the compression, and its ok. Gave it a short burst of starting fluid and it fired and ran for a few seconds. Soooo off to NAPA I went to buy points, plugs, and condensors. I got the NAPA smile and the "good luck" I am on my way to NAPA now and I will take a set of points and a condenser with me to see what they say.. Thank you all for the help so far.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Great news there todd281, However, in the future, PLEASE refrain from using starter fluid on any 2-cycle engines because starter fluid does not have any oil or lubricant in it and starting a 2-cycle engine dry (without any lube, and being sitting for a long time) will wear everything very quickly. Starter fluid will also wash down any remaining oil protection that was in the bearings and cylinder walls as well. Even a few seconds worth is years of wear. A better fluid to try on any 2-cycle engine is a mixture of 50:1 fuel/oil mix like you would run through it anyway. Simply spray some into the carb throat area and try to start. However, what is done now is done. Glad you finely were able to breathe some life back into it. Keep us posted to how the NAPA run worked out... :thumb:

todd281

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the heads up on the starting fluid, I will use the 50:1 mix from now on. I left NAPA with no results, I took the points and condenser with me and showed them to the clerk asked him if he could side by side match them. He just shook his head and said, sorry no can do. he did tell me that the condenser is available just not the points . I'll try some other places over the weekend hopefully that will be more fruitfull thanks todd

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Try other auto parts stores AND lawn mower repair shops too... Points are points and once you get the correct size, who cares if it is for some unknown engine. They're really nothing but switches in the first place...

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Look up Standard magneto in Chicago. Give them the number cast into the points carrier plate and they will be able to tell you everything about the engine---AND --most likely supply you with the correct points.