Starting procedure recommend starting in gear?

777funk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
According to this link:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=8KG2aBz0VFMOUMMMAE0Jeg&bvm=bv.84349003,d.aWw

It looks like it shows the engine starting in forward gear.

I just bought this boat/motor but I always thought all outboards were supposed to have a neutral switch so you couldn't start in gear. I noticed my motor has one.

This manual says to push the control handle forward (from neutral) one click. This would be in forward on my boat (not neutral). It's certainly easier to start with a little throttle but I don't think it's possible with my motor and control (one handle, first click forward is in gear and anything past that is throttle)... is it?

alldodge

Staff member
According to this link:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=8KG2aBz0VFMOUMMMAE0Jeg&bvm=bv.84349003,d.aWw

It looks like it shows the engine starting in forward gear.

I just bought this boat/motor but I always thought all outboards were supposed to have a neutral switch so you couldn't start in gear. I noticed my motor has one.

This manual says to push the control handle forward (from neutral) one click. This would be in forward on my boat (not neutral). It's certainly easier to start with a little throttle but I don't think it's possible with my motor and control (one handle, first click forward is in gear and anything past that is throttle)... is it?

The shifter should never allow you to start it in gear (FWD/REV). Look at page 17 figure 11 of the shift control. Note in the center of the throttle control handle is the term "Neutral Lock Button". This button when pulled out toward you allows the throttle handle to be moved forward without changing the gear. This is known as in most cases as "throttle only" position. This is used to pump the throttle for a carbureted engine, and to allow a bit more throttle on EFI motors. Once motor starts you can move it back to neutral and the button will lock back in place. Once locked back in, you can run normally

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yes ALLDodge is correct. And that ability is really good on a cold morning when it could take a few minutes to warm everything up before venturing out in the water...

Jiggz

Captain
It is commonly referred to as "Fast idle" where in you can put a little throttle (gas) to make starting easier and expedite warming up the engine.