1996 force ob starting issue

kgbear

Recruit
hello,
I have a 1996 force ob motor that seems to have a safety neutral switch problem.
the only way it will start is to move the shift lever fwd and backwards and after a minute of this it catches and will start.
one day it catches within 10-15 secs the next time out might take 2-3 minutes of this.
I have scanned thru multiple sites and forums but couldn't find anything directly related to a 1996 40hp
plenty of later models and hp models but they didn't help much.
I cant even find the switch on my motor. there doesn't seem to be anything near the throttle cables/linkage
or that side of the engine with wires going to it or any type off adjustable cam.
any help would be awesome
thank you
kg

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
hello,
I have a 1996 force ob motor that seems to have a safety neutral switch problem.
the only way it will start is to move the shift lever fwd and backwards and after a minute of this it catches and will start.
one day it catches within 10-15 secs the next time out might take 2-3 minutes of this.
I have scanned thru multiple sites and forums but couldn't find anything directly related to a 1996 40hp
plenty of later models and hp models but they didn't help much.
I cant even find the switch on my motor. there doesn't seem to be anything near the throttle cables/linkage
or that side of the engine with wires going to it or any type off adjustable cam.
any help would be awesome
thank you
kg

:welcome: to iboats

The neutral safety switch is in the shifter/throttle control.

Jiggz

Captain
As mentioned, with your model the neutral switch is located within the shifter mechanism.