Towershaft Stop

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer
Hi All

I had posted within another post, so I though I'd start a new topic in case there is some more ideas/feedback.

My Idle adjustment on the tower shaft ( 1988/125hp/Prestolite Ignition) does not seem to stay where I want it. The adjustmen does not seem to 'lock' and as a result, when running, the engine increases is idle speed all on its own. Never more than about 1000 rpm. I have posted a small video on you tube with he engine off, and me moving the part in question. Any ideas would be appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=804YkKQu1hI&feature=youtu.be

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The connector on the end of the cable.
Take it loose and see if the spring is still working?
It looks like it's sliding with no resistance.
It's spring loaded to hold the cable tight.

If the spring is still good, tighten the connector and put tension on the connector.

If the connector is tightened as far as it goes.
Then the cable needs to be loosened at the shifter and adjust the slack from the system.

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
In the video I can see that the large spring-loaded throttle connector is not spring loaded. Remove it and adjust it on the cable end so that about 3/16 to1/4 inch sticks out at idle. You may need to adjust the cable inside the control box too, in order to get enough pull on the connector. Watch my videos at the top of the page regarding timing and synchronizing.

I can not tell from the video, but be certain the control cables are locked in position. The square groove needs to be located by the detent in the clamp

Last edited:

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for your feedback guys. I will try in a day when the kids get back to school and let you know how I go. Once the Tower shaft is sorted, I'll do the link and sync again. I read the tutorial, but after watching the video realised I don't need a timing light ( old owner retrofitted ignition system, which I think is the Motorola- not a prestolite)That's a story for a different post. Thanks again. I'll let you know how I go;-)