1989 Force Coil not giving a reliable spark. Anything else it could be besides coil?

777funk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I found a nice project boat and am getting it running. It hadn't been started in about 6-7 years. I checked compression and all 4 cyls have around 135 psi. I pulled the plug out of each cylinder pushed the ground side against the chassis, and watched as someone cranked and all but the 3rd from the top had a regular rhythmic spark. The 3rd from the top seemed to be kind of intermittent. I also am hearing a confirmation when the engine is idling (just started it for the first time today and it has a slight irregular misfire).

So, I think that tells me what I need to know but wanted to make sure I'm not missing something. Also, I noticed that there are 4 Blue Coils with plug wires and two other Blue things that also seem like coils. I'm not familiar with the Force ignition system so I want to make sure before I throw a coil at #3 that it's not something else. I also swapped plugs around and they are fine.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I've been working on Forces since 85 and have only seen 1 bad coil.
So I doubt it's the coil.
Swap the leads around and see if the miss follows the coil.

First thing I'd do is replace all the wire connectors on the terminal board.
I had the same problem and found that the trigger lead was bad.
I knew what to look for as this happens all the time.
I reached in and pulled the first lead and it came loose in my hand.
Replace them all.
They are a very small diameter wire and break right at or under the shrinkwrap.
If that doesn't help. Go to outboard ignition . com and they have the test procedures for that engine.

There are a few guys on here that have used parts or know where you can get them.

This site sells a lot of Force/ Chrysler parts too.

777funk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Now it's working fine. I unplugged the coil pack and swapped it with #4 and checked both and they both worked. So I switched them back and spark seems fine now. I wonder if the coil pack's 'plug and play' connection could have had a bad connection from corrosion.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Great , just remember. Anything's possible. when working on an outboard.
Get a can of WD or any silicone spray.
Undo all the connectors and spray.
Like I suggested with the trigger wire you might want to change the connectors anyway.
Try the tug test and see if one or the others comes out when you pull.