Chrysler 1974 120HP Control Cable Issue

Hi Folks,

I have just put a 120HP on my boat, adjusted carbs as per Franks sticky video and have a bit of a problem. The cables work fine in gear - the throttle opens up to WOT. However, in neutral I have a lot of resistance and only minimal increase in RPM eg 2-300.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tnstratofam

Commander
In neutral your throttle only has minimal travel. This is because the linkage to the throttle, and the shifter are tied together on the motor. When you put it in neutral at the controls it is separating them enough to allow you to warm up only. You can't go to a true wot as the distributor timing tower won't rotate fully when not in gear.

Tnstratofam

Commander
A word of caution. You should not try to engage your transmission and run your engine to high revs with it in gear when it is out of the water. You can damage the lower unit if you are just running it on muffs. You need the engine in the water to make final tuning adjustments. That doesn't mean a pale of water either. You need it in the lake.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I was struggling to get any increase in RPM, I wasn't after WOT. However, I've realised the weigh of the motor is too heavy for my boat so moving back to a 3 cylinder.