Tell Tale

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer
Hi all...... I KNOW there is a substantial sticky about this but. .... I installed mine and it took forever to pump water......to the point of the overheating alarm going bananas. I removed the muffs and found a suitable bucket.....after which she started and ran well. No alarm. But........ and here us the but........the water dud not flow strong from the tell tale unless I revved the motor. New water pump complete unit instIlled. Could this be just a lack of substantial water supply or something more sinister? ?? 1988 125hp force.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Could be a worn out impeller or one missing a fin or two. When was it last changed? Regardless of use (Even counting non running storage time) I would never go 3 years. The next thing is to make sure that a drum or a bucket covers the entiire lower unit....... a spot as large as a drinking straw will destroy the water pumping. Next time you have a straw cut a tiny hole or two anyplace it is not submerged and it will not work.

The alarm does not work on pressure...... it works on heat. So, while more pressure means more water and less heat. The alarm sensor is heat activated.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
He said it's a new pump.
The hose might not supply enough.
The bucket it needs to cover the cavitation plate by 3-4 inches.
It needs to be over the top of the water pump.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
The first unanswered question is: Where did you install the pisser? Location can make a difference.

I don't have pissers on any of my personal engines--I think for general boating they are next to useless. 'Course, if it makes you feel good, then it is doing a job.

The only time I do use a tell-tale is when demonstrating an engine for sale. Then I point at the water flow and say: See? It pumps a lot of water. So don't come back and tell me the water pump is bad.

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer
Hi all

Thanks for your input. Frank,the pisser is tapped into the top of the engine, where I believe a water pressure gauge hooks up. Jerry, the water was not over the cavitation plate, but was over the inlet vents. After it overheated on the muffs, I put the bucket on and it was fine regarding the overheating. Its just I expected more water from the kisser. I hope the photos I took upload. I'm posting this mobile for now. I'll start another topic if need be but the idle adjust screw seems to not stay put. I adjust the idle down, and as the engine is running it comes back up all on its own- you can watch the screw move. Any thoughts or do you want a new post with pictures. Replies on both subjects are duly appreciated šŸ˜‰

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

***Note the pisser is incomplete- I know I need a Hose Clamp and I need to finish the exit properly, but here it is for your viewing pleasure;-)

Attachments

• photo214002.jpg
    photo214002.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 0
  • photo214003.jpg
    photo214003.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo214004.jpg
    photo214004.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
WIMUSK, the whizzer where he's mounted it should pump water as soon as it reaches the top.
The thermo doesn't need to be open for it to work.

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer
Come on Jerry.... call it a pisser;-) Any thoughts on part 2?? or new thread required??

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The idle screw.You holding the screw with a screwdriver and tightening with a wrench?
I have a long skinny 7/16-3/8 double box end wrench.
It stays in the boat tool box.
The idle. Get it where you want it.
Put the wrench on the screw and then insert the screwy and tighten the nut down against the towershaft..
PISSER<PISSER<PISSER

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer
HI Jerry

I do that, but the idle screw steps out ( towards the camera in that photo) increasing the idle.... It doesn't seem to stay on the towershaft when I adjust it.

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer
It seems to 'step out' away from the block. The way I am looking at it, there is no way it will stay put.......... when I adjust the throttle, and I am happy, I restart the engine, and the throttle moves away from the block/head. I cannot see any way that would allow me to 'lock in' the adjusted idle setting?? If you need a video or more info let me know?????

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer
Your water level in the bucket is WAY too low if it only covered the inlet holes. The PUMP itself has to be submerged otherwise it won't work properly and it will be easily damaged. This is the reason that the motor must be submerged 2-3 inches past the anti-cav plate.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
If the towershaft isn't touching when it's running. Then it's not set up right.
Are you using the spring loaded connector or just the straight one?

Anyone have a pic of the connector?

I'll see if I have one and get a pic(maybe if my CRS doesn't kick in)