How to replace water tube force 50 hp

danorte

Cadet
My new to me 1986 force 50hp is being repaired. Prior owner has done some things, some not. I removed the lower unit and there is no water tube. In the parts bin obtained, water tube is there. Now how the heck do you put it inside the motor leg.? Nothing in Seloc manual, nothing in search. Really unclear. Could it be so simple to remove the 8 motor leg attachments? no gasket obtainable now so would like to be sure before possible tear. Thanks in advance. North

danorte

Cadet
Ok, durn, I was able to put the tube up into the leg but unable to feel or see where it goes. No Oring seal present on tube, no washer either. Now what. I do see the 8 screws that hold part of the leg to the power head. I am really not sure what to do to access the seating of the top of the tube. North

Nordin

Commander
You have to remove the powerhead to be sure that the tube will be fitted correct when put back.
The tube is pressed in (soft) in the middleg and there is a seal and a plainwasher that also hold the tube in place.
You can be lucky to get it back with out pull the powerhead, BUT next time you pull the LU it will come down. The rubberseal/grommet or if it is the plastictube typ of inlet in the impellerhousing, hold it in place in the housing and is stronger then the upper fitting.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You can try: The tube get shoved up in the hole.
Put superglue around the rim of the tube.And put some thing holding it in place till the glue dries.
Put it back together and see if it pumps water?
On the tube is one end flared just a little bit?
BUT!!! the best way is to take it apart and put it together right!!!
They made some where yo need to remove the head to put it back.
Yours might be one of the ones that you just stick it up inside.
What's the serial#?

Pic of the tube, both ends.

danorte

Cadet
Ok, will remove power head and see what is required to replace tube. Thank you listers. Will try for pics and serial number tomorrow.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Don't remove the head until your sure it's needed.
A pic will tell.
Like I said it just might be jammed up in there???
A pic and a serial# will tell.

danorte

Cadet
unable to upload photo. However there is one on Ebay for force outboard water tube that appears the same. Motor is 507F6A # 2691

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
E-bay #??
The 507F6A # 2691 Might be missing a number ?
If it's smooth at the top it probably just gets jammed up in there and is held in place by the grommet on the pump housing.

danorte

Cadet
Numbers are correct, 507F6A, serial is 2691. Ebay is http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-1989-3..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item5665e99e3f&vxp=mtr. I believe I will remove power head. I need to learn more and I think it needs to be done correctly. I have tried to insert it and it usually goes to far up the leg. Never feels like it bottoms out in sleeve. So will get smarter. Now for those who have pulled the power head on a force/ twin. Can the starter and fly wheel stay attaches as I only need to remove the head to place the water tube. By my manual it says to remove durn near everything prior to the 8 attaching bolts. What is the best way. Already off is carb, fuel pump and all lines. North

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The only thing needed is to remove the bolts.
The head might have silicone and it needs to be forced apart.
Just don't score/scrape any mating surfaces.