Transom motor mount bolts

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer
Hello all,
Somehow I lost a nut to the top stainless bolt that holds tke motor to the boat. I need to buy another one but what kind. The one I didn't lose looks like it's made of bronze. If i buy a grade 8 or SS nut it may gall. So what do you all suggest?

Thanks,
Tom

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Let me prefix this comment by saying I'm by not means an expert. But I would buy stainless steel and replace the lost one. Maybe even a stainless steel lock type nut... But I'm sure others will chime in and make better suggestions...

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
You can try Fastenal and see if they carry a bronze nut. However, stainless is not guaranteed to gall and lock so if you can not find the bronze nut at Fastenal or your local Mercury or OMC dealer then buy stainless and lubricate it well to prevent galling. Just be certain to buy a self-locking "Nylock" nut. BTW: The nut is fine thread 1/2 inch--I think 1/2 X 20. It is almost standard mounting hardware on many outboard engines so look at all the boat dealers in your area.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Hello all,
Somehow I lost a nut to the top stainless bolt that holds tke motor to the boat. I need to buy another one but what kind. The one I didn't lose looks like it's made of bronze. If i buy a grade 8 or SS nut it may gall. So what do you all suggest?

Thanks,
Tom

You want to use bronze not SS because of what you mentioned, galling Bondo clued me in on the same thing last week regarding nuts I picked up for my outdrive

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

I stopped at a local Ace Hardward and found a grade 5 zinc plated 1/2x20 fine thread nuts for $.72 each. This suits me fine for the winter considering my motor is on a stand in my shed. I coated the bolt with a generous amount of permatex anti seize lube and turned the nut on slowly. Ther are some photos for your viewing pleasure.

Tom

Attachments

• photo212753.jpg
    photo212753.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo212754.jpg
    photo212754.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo212752.jpg
    photo212752.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
The bolts are stainless so why not stainless Nylock..
Sent U a pm.

Ayuh,.... Because ssteel nuts on ssteel bolts tend to gall, rippin' the threads off 1, 'n outa the other,....

The nuts AllDodge is talkin' 'bout, that hold our drives onto the gimbal, are a copper/ bronze alloy, that's chrome plated,...