twin force 50hp

danorte

Cadet
Good afternoon listers. I am new to this site. I have a new to me 1962 18 ft lone star el dorado with twin 1986 force 50s. Need to purchase new cables but it has twin single lever controls. One is mounted upside down to the other with an aluminum plate between them. I need to move the control box to the outside of cabin and will need either new control and or shorter cables. Question what can fit this arrangement. Also if I chose to take off one motor then will have only 50 hp. The boat weighs right about 1000lb. I do not need to go fast and most of what I have read seems to use the 25 rule. 1 hp per 25 lbs. What do you all think. If I can use only one motor then the other is a spare... Neither run at the moment as have been sitting for 10 yrs. Other than the regular tune up stuff plugs points, clean, re lube. Anything else. Thanks in advance. North

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
welcome to the forum

if you have a choice, I prefer two in case one breaks on the water.

How much are you trying to shorten the cables? If a good couple feet, and you have room, can you put a nice smooth circle in it?

danorte

Cadet
Will need to shorten about 6 ft. May be use the loop to shorten. It has us marine controls.
Can you still get new cables. If so where is best>? North

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
This site sells cables.
E-bay or Amazon sells them too.
Morse or Teleflex is the brand name.
I will have a double shifter for sale that will fit your motors.In about 2-3 weeks.
The single 50 on a 18ft. is too underpowered.
That's why the previous owner added a second.

danorte

Cadet
Will look at the sites. What is the brand name of what you have and is it really thick. This double us marine is 7 " wide or a bit more. Thank you. North

danorte

Cadet
Thank you. I have a question. You stated that 50hp was underpowered. This boat weighs about 1000 lb. I read somewhere that a good ratio for power to weight was 1 hp per 25 lb. Just wondering how you arrive at optimum hp. Not looking for high speed. Like to go more slow on plane than rapid. Again thank you.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Just from experience.
A 50 "might" get you on plane???
You'd probably have to reprop to achieve the rpm's necessary.
Take it for a ride and use one motor.
Post the rpm's and the results.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Sorry for the delay.
Here's the shifter.

Attachments

• photo212694.JPG
    photo212694.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 0

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Eldorado is 18" 870 lbs. 74" @ the transom 85" beam.20" transom height. max hp 100.
Your twins will use about 14 gph (gallons per hour) at wot.Will be slightly slower than a single 100
and with twice the complication.
My 18 ft utility is about 1,000 lbs all up with a 200 lb adult driving It flies with a 50.
With a 4 adults It planes easily and makes about 25-27. Thats with a 88 50 hp Evinrude.
A healthy Force 50 would probably be slower, but adequate for getting from here to there.
Obviously using about half the fuel of the twins.
Twin motors do provide a back up in case of a failure but 2 motors do increase the odds of a failure slightly.