opinions please

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Opinions please, I'm looking at this outboard, it's something I can afford right now. I want to get something bigger and better but I'm thinking this can get me through 6 months until $situation gets better. I've talked the price down to $150. Needs carb put back on... He says it'll run for a few seconds when sprayed, and he'll let me hear it. Do you guys think it's worth the $150? I'll def do a compression test before taking it. I'm a novice with outboards, I can take one off, clean it, put it back on... But that's about it. Opinions please?!
https://fayetteville.craigslist.org/boa/4774857172.html

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
1996 according to serial number.

IF it runs so well, why was the carb removed ?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
IF??? The comp is good and the gear oil is clear and the throttle works it's worth $150 all day long.
Carb might have been full of crud??
Carb is sill available about $100

WrenchHead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm betting it won't run with the carb on. That's why he can only demonstrate w/o carb. If all the particulars already mentioned above check out satisfactory and you think the asking price plus a new carb expense is worth it then go for it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I'd take a serious look at the carb to verify no parts are broken. A lot of newer carbs now use plastic parts. And as my neighbor has found out, those parts are hugely expensive. So I'd make sure the carb is complete and no broken parts. Then if everything else test good, have at it! I would if those things checked out okay!

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I passed... He got defensive when I started asking questions and it just didn't feel right to me