1976 Chrysler 135hp engine not turning

matshallard

Recruit
Hey guys, Our boat has been in storage for 8 months and just pulled it out and the engine is not turning. Just wondering if there is a nipple somewhere where you fill with grease gun or you need to take the engine off the boat to replace parts. The steering had been getting progressively worse last summer so Im guessing I an not lubing where I sould/

Thanks in advance.

Mat

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No Title

More than likely the steering cable, where it goes through the front of the motor is corroded,clogged.(if you have that kind of steering)
The mid section has 3 grease fittings.
Try a small torch on the mid section.
Start with the heat and pump some grease in AFTER you heat it up.
The grease get's solid after time and just pumping grease in will pop the fittings out.
Have someone put pressure on the steering wheel as you push on the motor.
Do NOT use a hammer on the end of the steering cable. You can mushroom the end of the cable and it will never go through the steering tube.
Post a pic.
The pics show where I added fittings to my mid section.

Attachments

• photo206829.JPG
    photo206829.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 0
  • photo206830.JPG
    photo206830.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 0

matshallard

Recruit
No Title

Thanks Guys!
Sorry should have mentioned I have replaced the steering cable which is doesn't actually run through the engine. It only goes as far as a pulley connected to either side of the engine which is connected to the steering wheel.
I have posed a few pics of the steering pin where the issue is. Hopefully this makes it a bit clearer..
Cheers
Mat

Attachments

• photo212483.JPG
    photo212483.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 0
  • photo212484.JPG
    photo212484.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo212485.JPG
    photo212485.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The area at the top and bottom of the kingpin.
There is a plastic bushing in both areas, the grease/corrosion gets real hard there.
I drilled 2 holes and installed new fittings.
Before I installed the fittings I heated it up and put in WD-40 and 30w oil and used compressed air to blow it out.
Heat, and add grease and heat and push and heat and add and push.