1990 50hp force clutch dog

Rust4r

Recruit
Hi guys, this might have been answered already? My motor jerks and pops when under load, primarily when getting to plane.
I've read it's probably the clutch dog, my question is, can I replace just the clutch dog or am I gonna have to replace the forward gear as well?
One other question is there is a brass retaining ring at the top of the drive shaft that doesn't look like it does much. I replaced the impeller last year and was able to finagle it off and put it back on. But does it really have a purpose??
Thanks in advance
Russ

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Yes the forward gear probably needs to be cleaned up, or machine the edges on the dog and gear.
No need to replace. Post some pics.
The brass ring is there to hold a rubber grommet that keeps grease on the splines. Sounds like it's missing.

Rust4r

Recruit
Thanks, I will have to post pics at a later date of the gears and clutch dog as I haven't torn into it yet. Waiting until after the holidays do get at it. As far as the retaining ring goes, there wasn't a grommet anywhere and I can't find one in any of the diagrams.
Thanks again for the reply.

Rust4r

Recruit
Ok, got it. That part wast there when I took it apart last year. I don't understand what the purpose of it is? The top of the driveshaft slips up into the head and doesn't get greased or need to hold oil in. The lower end has a seal at the top of the gear housing holding the gear lube in.