75 Chrysler 90 hp NO SPARK

danzig78

Recruit
I have tested for spark only using grounded plug method. Nothing. I have good spark coming out of coil wire with a spark gap test off ground while grounding points wire. This tells me my switch box and coil are working correct? Now I'm looking towards the distributor as the problem. I'm pretty sure the timing hasn't been messed with since it was running a few years ago,(assuming that is correct). What's my next move before I take it to a professional?

wickware

Lieutenant
What are the conditions of your points? I feel they are good to get a spark. I'm not following why you are getting a spark and not at the plug. Have you cleaned and dressed the points with fine emery cloth and dust free Etc.? Have you checked with an ohmmeter or test light to know you are getting good continuity between points contacts? Have you tested with what you know is a good plug? The spark gap tester grounded and connected to the Coil Wire that goes to the plug tells me you should have fire on a good plug. What color is the spark?

Any pics of your Ignition sys or link to your sys to help me see where you are getting a spark?

danzig78

Recruit
Pics are too big to upload but im getting Voltage at igniton terminal which goes to switch box and then to coil then distributor. I set the coil wire (which is unplugged) 3/8 of an inch from ground while tapping the points power wire to ground (with key on), I get a good hot blue spark. Actually better spark than the aftermarket CD box I purchased only to find out that didn't solve my problem. Technical support from CDI actually told me the trick to test for spark out of switchbox/ CD box. Wonderful crew they have there! Now Ive just figured out that there might be the wrong spark plugs in this engine. I bought the boat off a friend, who got new plugs for it. However he replaced the no gap plugs somehow with standard prong gap plugs. Wondering if the standard plugs are now a replacement for the no gap plugs? Looking into plugs now....

danzig78

Recruit
Coil wire unplugged from distributor while i was doing coil spark test, not sure if that was clear.

Nordin

Commander
Your problem is in the distributer. Check the connection of the coil HT wire and the output HT wires inside the dist.
The HT wires goes thrue a rubberseal under the distcap and then they are splitted and pinched to the terminals by the capcover.
The capcover is screwed to the dist.
Also check the rotor if you do not have the electronic dist.

wickware

Lieutenant
1. I reduce my Pics in PhptoShop but I’m sure Windows or etc has software to reduce your pics. There are limits but I never try to send a pic over 2 Meg in P/S which turns out to be less than a Meg in Window’s properties. 2. Set your camera at a mid quality or above email quality and see if that will send. 3. Pics make a word of difference when trying to share/obtain info. Good luck On Your Boat!

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
Big chance your pre-amplifier is gone, which replaced the old style points.