Engine puller loop

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer
I pulled off my motor without an engine hoist. But I can't seem to lift it onto the stand I built. A couple of guy and myself couldn't bulge the 300 pound behemoth off the ground. So I'm renting an engine hoist. I seen a couple of videos when the engine was lifted by a loop with 3 screws that attach to the flywheel. Where can I get one?

Thanks,
Tom

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Well, since we don't know what engine you have, we can not comment on how to lift it.

HOWEVER: If your engine does have three tapped holes on the top of the flywheel you can make your own lifter. Simply take a piece of 1/4 inch thick steel or aluminum and drill three holes to match the ones in the flywheel. Then drill the center for an eyebolt that you can buy at the big box store. Be certain to buy a closed eyebolt, not the bent kind as they simply are not strong enough and buy one about 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick. Bolt it through the center hole.

Unfortunately, if you have a later model Force with Mercury ignition there are no holes in the flywheel and you need a special threaded Mercury tool to lift it.

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer
I have an '89 150 hp which is listed in my signature. I wasn't sure if this is something I can buy or I had to make. I'll hit the depot today a see what it can find.

Thanks a bunch,
Tom

Jiggz

Captain
No Title

And here's the lifting ring Frank design.

Attachments

• photo212042.jpg
    photo212042.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 2

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Here's one that I made to remove a Force 150HP motor that threads onto the crankshaft. You have to remove the nut that holds the flywheel on and torque this on in it's place.

IMG_3589[1].JPGIMG_3591[1].JPG

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

I had one of these harmonic gear puller I used to remove my bering race from the lower unit. All I need now is an eye loop ring to screw into the puller. And wala.
Thanks for all the suggestions,
Tom

Attachments

• photo212045.jpg
    photo212045.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I used a 1/4-20 bolt(hardened) and an L-bracket with a lifting ring from a 350 Chev.

Jiggz

Captain
I had one of these harmonic gear puller I used to remove my bering race from the lower unit. All I need now is an eye loop ring to screw into the puller. And wala.
Thanks for all the suggestions,
Tom

Just make sure you use high grade steel 1/4"-20 bolts at least Grade 5 but higher is recommended.