1978 Chrysler 9.9 Sailor stuck in reverse after water pump impeller renewal

tevake

Cadet
Hi all! I followed the manual for this procedure, and read what Frank and MikeLovin wrote in old threads about putting in forward or reverse while putting together, but want to ask: (1) when the motor head is separate from the LU shouldn't u be able to change the shifter lever(next to the throttle) position? I noticed it was stuck in reverse..(The shifter changed gears fine before I started the separation procedure, if I just turned the flywheel...Also, once apart, I could easily change gears on the LU by pulling up or down on the top end of the lower shift rod)...(2) I notice the neutral interlock switch is hanging loose -not connected so it can touch the linkage, and don't know how to correct this, since the screw- on cone that holds it in place according to the manual, is missing...Can I bypass it, maybe? But, this shouldn't play any roll while the motor head is separated, should it? (3) I also wanted to change the fuel pump diaphragm, since the engine has not been run since having been 'winterized' in 1981, but the corrosion on the three slot- head screws looks very discouraging.. I've been spraying with BP Blaster, and am going to have to take off the starter button and the whole electric/CD module, etc, to even get at it.Has anyone bypassed this issue by running an electric fuel pump from tank direct to the carburetor? Any thoughts regarding any of these issues would be greatly appreciated!( The motor ran fine back then, and has been stored upright in a dry spot since..).

Last edited:

tevake

Cadet
Hi all! I have been able to solve all three questions I posed on Nov 6, and am now going on to rebuilding the carb and fuel pump. Re (1): I was able to shift out of reverse as soon as I used a pull-rope to spin the head faster without the plugs in.; re (2): yes, I can just bypass it, and re (3), I was able to break free the 3 slot-head screws with some difficulty. Wow, one of the biggest challenges on this 1978 is the corroded bolts! Again, this thread has been resolved, before anyone got involved...