1974/75 30 hp Chrysler water pump

Hi, I have a 74 or 74 30 hp Chrysler. Not sure exactly. Anyway its not pumping water at all. I pulled apart lower leg and after putting a drill on the drive shaft to check if the water was pumping, I noticed if I tried to block the water pump to simulate pressure then it would spray water out of the side of the water pump through a tiny hole. On closer inspection of the water pump housing there is a pin hole underneath which goes to the side. Is this suppose to be here as a pressure relief or something? It looks like its manufactured but doesn't make sense...In advance, yes the impellor is new and fine.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
That pinhole is there to vent air when the engine is lowered into the water. It makes the pump self priming.

wickware

Lieutenant
A Solid TellTale Stream W-O Exhaust (8).JPG A Tell Tale Stream Below A Cover Is Best.JPG 1970, 35 HP Chrysler's Tell Tale.jpg Are you testing in a full 55 gal drum? This makes a difference on my 1970 35 HP (not a 55 as the cover). Stored 2” higher on jack stands caused no water and it cane instantly with the drum on 2X4s.

A side note is that I learned to route my Tell Tale out put to the fixed base vs getting pinched and Etc..

PB030112.JPG PB030109.JPG PB030112.JPG PB030110.JPGHere is the pin hole I am talking about. Is this normal and suppose to be in water pump? I have tested motor in drum with no luck. Actually I just bought it and it first pumped water for a bit then when it got hot it stopped. Then I noticed exhaust port cover had a little damage so I pulled it off and it had a lot of **** in there. IN the process I broke the cover and the bolts holding cover on, so I drilled them out got a new cover and put helicoils in. I have blown water through the tube and it all goes through ok. When I run motor exhaust is coming out of the tell tale though... Is this enough pressure to stop the water coming up? Then when I blocked the water pump as in picture, the water just sprayed out this little pin hole in the pic. The pump doesn't seem like it pumps much water though and any pressure will just divert water through the hole? So is this pump the problem maybe? Thanks.

wickware

Lieutenant
Are you concerned about a spray of water in the exhaust vs a solid stream? I only get a solid stream at the “added adapted Tell Tale”. The exhaust spray is called a pressure relief and it has been sufficient w/o over heating. Have you had an alarm to go off indicating over heating?

I am not seeing the pin hole in my 1970's 35 HP’s pics or manual. Since 84-85 deep in the barrel or lake has worked on pumping instant water. Too instant in cool weather IMO except it probably lube the impeller. You mentioned you have had a better pump earlier and was that in a barrel or lake?

Right now I am getting nothing pumping out the exhaust or tell tale with the motor deep in a bucket... Impellor is new. The tubes are not blocked as I have run garden hose through. There is exhaust coming out the tell tail though... I believe this pin hole is normal now and is an air priming bleed as Frank mentioned above. Not sure what to do with motor, getting ready to toss it.

Nordin

Commander
The pinhole is factorymade, it has to be there as Frank mention. It is to vent air from pumphousing.

BUT the surface in the impellerhousing does not look nice. Very pitted and no smooth surface.This might be the problem, the impellervanes has to seal against the walls to pump water even the top surface of the housing. Take a look at the stainless steelplate too.

Also check that the coppertube is lined up and correct insert in the housing outlet.

Last edited:

wickware

Lieutenant
1970, 35 hp Chrysler impeller-.JPG
1. What are you calling exhaust and Telltale? Are you seeing any water out the back of the engine with exhaust? My pump has pits (holes) vs rough and good slick stainless plates. It pumps good in deep water.
2. Please post a pic showing how deep you are in your bucket of water.
3. Even with the rough pump, I feel you should be getting some water if the impeller is not too bad. The pump looks too bad to repair when I zoom it, as I saw someone mentioned in the past. Is the roughness from salt water or possibly what? Can you show a pic of the impeller? Some ext parts look good for the pump’s int to look that bad. My only experience is with fresh water.
1970 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump .JPG

Attachments

• 1970 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump .JPG
    1970 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump .JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 0
Ok seems I have figured out the problem. I disassembled everything and re-assembled and when re-assembling the water pump tube may not have connected properly. But it is pumnping water like a mo fo now... Been waiting 2 months to get this thing running. Now just have to fix the broken gear cable... Thanks peoples.

wickware

Lieutenant
What’s up with the broken gear cable? I have pics at my control and engine if they might help you. A pic of the matter if possible if some help is needed.

Actually I just figured out the cable today also. Nothing wrong, just an operational glitch. But she is running well now.

wickware

Lieutenant
Please share some Pics of your 30 HP from both sides with the top/hood off. I would like to compare it to my 1970, 2010 Cleaning Since 1985, as needed Greasing (1).JPG 2010 Cleaning Since 1985, as needed Greasing (4).JPG Boat's Orange Plastic Bumpers To Guides.JPG 35 HP with a 55HP hood on (related to 45 HP and some 55 HP.

Ok I will take a few pics in a few days. Mine is different from this one. The model number is 304HA. Serial N0 1158. Does anyone know how to get more power out of this engine? I took it for its maiden voyage yesterday on its original 3.7 meter 1970 Stebercraft boat and it is just on the edge of getting on a plane but wont. With enough time and flat water it just gets on a plane. But I think it just needs a little bit more power... Can I tune it or something, or lean it out?

wickware

Lieutenant
My 35 HP on my 15’ Raycraft fiberglass Tri-hull has always plained with acceptable weight onboard. Empty it powers out strong and gets up quick but with added gear and another person we still got up but slower. I was clocked at 32 MPH with just me and very little gear.

Tuning means a lot. I could tell when it stumbled/hesitated powering out or not holding wide open speed on open water. The seldom problem was always solved with cleaning the points vs changing them. Contaminated/dirty points were detected as a result of my PM and over oiling point’s rubbing block’s wics (vs a drop if needed). Since 1984-85 I have changed the points and plugs once, “initially” due to my little summer use only (at least 6 gals of gas and not over 12 over the years.

My little setup was initially thought to be a starter but turned out to be “The Dream Of My Life On My Level Of Fishing Only” .
Resting in shade & pointed to parking slab.JPG Boat 70 Chrysler 35 HP Flywheel Puller 2.jpg Boat 70 Chrysler 35 HP Points.jpg 1970, 35 HP Chrysler's Magneto System 2.JPG

wickware

Lieutenant
My 35 HP on my 15’ Raycraft fiberglass Tri-hull has always plained with acceptable weight onboard. Empty it powers out strong and gets up quick but with added gear and another person we still got up but slower. I was clocked at 32 MPH with just me and very little gear.

Tuning means a lot. I could tell when it stumbled/hesitated powering out or not holding wide open speed on open water. The seldom problem was always solved with cleaning the points vs changing them. Contaminated/dirty points were detected as a result of my PM and over oiling point’s rubbing block’s wics (vs a drop if needed). Since 1984-85 I have changed the points and plugs once, “initially” due to my little summer use only (at least 6 gals of gas and not over 12 over the years.

My little setup was initially thought to be a starter but turned out to be “The Dream Of My Life On My Level Of Fishing Only” .

Nordin

Commander
whereismymonkey How much does your boat weight? 3,7 meter that is about 12 foot, it should plane out with no problem.

I have two of this engines myself and have them on a 4,5 meter (15 foot) boat and it plane out very easy.
My boat weight about 200 kg (I am in Sweden so we use metric and european system) and maximum speed is about 20-23 knots (40-42 km/h).

What prop do you have, diameter and pitch? My is 10 3/8 x 12 or 10 3/8 x 11, not really sure.

Is your hull full of water?
Does the throttle opens fully?

Last edited:

wickware

Lieutenant
What type of Ignition Sys do toy have, Magneto or Electronic? The darker Magneto Sys pic (oil vapor) is what I would find from too much oil on the wic. I initially thought it was crankcase blow-by. Until I cleaned (de-greased) the Mag good, ran the Eng WOT about 10 mi, popped the flywheel as soon as I got back and saw no signs of blow-by. This old Monster has been TUFF.

I’m at a crossroad of retiring it due to needed work on the Fiberglass Boat vs Eng and Trailer, my health issuers, and our local Drought Issues (means traveling approx 100 miles one-way for good safe fishing). We faced this drought issuer 03 – 06 and I let the boat sit 3 yrs but started it yearly in a barrel. I have not started it in a year but need to get on the job or do I if I ran it Bone Dry?

It’s time to sit by the fire and eat some of the fish frozen in containers of water that holds well at lest two years.

PS. Water Logged is a good point if you are not familiar with your Boat’s Hull. I took on water and c/n figure out until I realized my tarp w/n large enough to protect the back from the sun and blowing rain. Since I have added to the tarp and store the boat at a good angle with hull’s and boat’s plugs out.