Force 85 HP Lower Unit Oil

zuki4life

Recruit
Sorry if this has been asked a million times but I searched and couldn't find it. I am new to outboard motors and I am trying to winterize my boat. The manual calls for SAE 90 lower unit oil. Is this stuff alright to use? http://www.amazon.com/Quicksilver-5...f=lh_ni_t_mi?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER Also what is the lower unit oil capacity I can't find that anywhere.

Also is anyone running antifreeze through the motor? The boat shop guy said if I stored the motor completely lowered it was unnecessary but I would just like to make sure.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
That oil should work fine. 85HP lower take about 26oz, so 1 quart should just barely work. If you have any doubts, get 2 and you should have more than enough. If you are filling it from the "Fill" plug on the side of the lower, make sure you also remove the "Vent" plug. Fill it until the lube starts coming out of the vent hole. Wait about 30 minutes or so for any trapped air inside to work it's way up and top it off again until the lube starts coming out of the vent. May have to do this a couple of times to get all the trapped air out.

Storing the motor over the winter in the upright position is fine. No real need to run any anti-freeze through it. Might want to "fog " the cylinders though.