1994 Force 120 OB Gas Odor

ggundersen3

Petty Officer 1st Class
My '94 Force 120 is on a '94 Bayliner 18' Capri with a built in gas tank. I notice after several days or a week of being idle, when I open the floor ski locker, there is a faint but definite gasoline odor in there. It disappears in a short time but reappears the next time I open it after extended period of being closed up. No sign of actual liquid gasoline anywhere, just a faint odor. Is this something normal/minor or not?

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
not normal, it could be something as simple as your hoses needing replaced but i would get that checked out

ggundersen3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks,Unfortunately I just noticed it last week when I winterized it but didn't think too much about it . Now today I noticed it when taking the boat to the winter storage facility where its indoors with 100's of other boats. So I left the ski locker open hoping to ventilate. I hope its ok til spring. Again there's no sign of actual liquid gasoline visible, just that faint odor.

ggundersen3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nothing in the bilge either. Dry as a bone. I thought the tank might have a small leak. But that should have shown up in the bilge. Right?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Sounds like you may have a small hole in either the gas fill tube or the vent hose. Make sure the hose clamps on both are good and tight. It doesn't take much to cause an odor.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The tank could have a bad hose?
Ethanol is not our friend.
I had to replace my tank in my Bayliner 21 center console.
When it was assembled someone dropped screw under the tank.
Eventually it chewed a hole in the bottom.
I noticed oil in the bilge.A faint odor of gas.
Luckily I worked at the dealer where I got the boat.
Had to spit the hulls to replace.
While I had it apart, I reinforced the rod holders and outriggers and made a bunch of improvement I thought it needed.

WHAT EVER YOU DO NOT USE """ ANY""""" KIND OF POWER TOOLS WHEN ATTEMPTING ANY REPAIRS.
Had a friend who used a portable 18v drill to take the floor apart. BOOOOOM!!!!