1994 Force 120 water pump operation

ggundersen3

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just bought this boat and the motor starts and runs great! Just wondering if the looks right as far as if enough water is being ejected out. Does it look normal. This is around 1300RPM. Here is a video

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
your video is not here but the force kinda just spits water out the 2 holes at low speed. Most of the water goes out the exhaust snout. it goes away when you accelerate... I don't see it on mine again until I hit around 4500 rpm. You should replace the impeller soon as it could be very old and will break on your outing. There is a link at the top of the forum under FAQ for the exact procedure - things to look out for are... unhook the shift rod and pin first and there is a hidden bolt under the exhaust snout.

ggundersen3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks a million for the reply and advice! It's going to winter storage next week, so the impeller replacement will happen in spring. We're getting cold weather already here in Wisconsin. I kinda thought the water flow out of the water pump was ok while I was winterizing it but wanted to check with someone like you who knew.
Thanks again!
Grant in Milwaukee

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
if you didn't change your gear oil at least open up the drain screw a little and check for water (this is not the screw on the side of the bullet - you should not tough that one) you want the one on the actual bottom

ggundersen3

Petty Officer 1st Class
I actually did change the lower unit oil. But thanks. The seller gave me all the manuals. I removed the drain screw on the bottom and both upper vent screws. The oil in there was clean but I drained and filled it with new lower unit oil anyway. I used a small pump I bought just for that and followed the directions in the manual. It's not much different than my former boats which were a mercruiser I/O and an OMC I/O and a Evinrude 90HP O/B before that Biggest difference is the 2 vent screws instead of one. That pump makes its so much easier rather the mess I used to deal with using those tubes of gear oil. Thanks for your help again!.

ggundersen3

Petty Officer 1st Class
By the way...I read the step by step process in the FAQ section about changing the impeller. That will be a spring project. Thanks for pointing that out!