1996 Force 75hp idling issue ?

JD466US

Cadet
My 1996 75hp Force has recently developed a idling issue. Its run fine all summer until about a month ago when launching it flooded real bad and would not start. I had a extra set of plugs so I had changed them out at the ramp let it set for a few minutes and it fired right up but wanted to die while idling in neutral. I took it out and when hitting the throttle it will hesitate for a second then take off. I am wondering if its not time to possibly rebuild the carburetor. I replaced the fuel pump installed new lines and a waterpump 2 years ago but I have never touched the carb. I have had the engine for 6 years with never a issue. On a side note I run a compression check and all 3 cylinders came in around +125 psi so I don't think thats a issue. Any hints on what I should look at will be greatly appreciated.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
do you have spark on all 3 cylinders ? Have you tried replacing the squeezie ?

Jiggz

Captain
Check to make sure the fuel filter is staying at least 3/4 full. If it is then the problem is downstream of the fuel filter, i.e carburetion, reed or sparks. Check for sparks on all cylinders using an inline spark tester. If that is good then you need to make sure the carb is working properly, i.e. floats, needle valve and seats, etc. Of course, if you decided to dismount the carbs, you might as well go a step further and check the reeds.

If the fuel filter is getting empty, then the problem is fuel delivery, i.e., fuel pump, leaky fuel hoses, faulty check valves, restricted pick up tube or tank vent, etc.

JD466US

Cadet
I want to thank you guys for the help. I checked the spark using a inline tester and all 3 coils tested good. Replaced fuel line and primer bulb and fuel filter is staying full. Still it idles really low. I did notice when idliing its spitting fuel out of the carb. Time for a carb rebuild?

Jiggz

Captain
If it is spitting fuel that bad, then the reeds need to be checked. Dismount carb and check all reeds.

JD466US

Cadet
Well I found my problem, pulled the carb and then the reed valve assembly and found its missing a single reed. I want to thank you again for pointing me in the right direction. I am going to order some replacement reeds and get it fixed.I already have the carb kit so I will go ahead with that to since I have it off.

Jiggz

Captain
Great. Make sure you try locating the missing part if you can. And also try replacing in pairs rather than just a single row.