Videos of my Force 125 coming to life, new Telltale mod, and question on idle

Steverino74

Seaman Apprentice
Does this idle sound too high to you? I looked at the above on adjusting carbs, and I looked at videos, but nowhere do I see an easy way to adjust the idle? Hexedre's my startup video! I bought the boat knowing it wouldn't start due to some sort of electrical issue. With the help of guys here, I fixed it, cleaned up most terminals, replaced fuel lines, dumped most of old gas, added fresh gas and oil, an ethanol specific fuel treatment and a can of sea foam. A srpay of started fluid helped it come to life!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXte7gv6xYY&feature=youtu.be

Telltale mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTcR5iSHrtU

Steverino74

Seaman Apprentice
New water pump. The old one was destroyed. Repaced the terminal and the boot on the end of the plug wire. Thankfully the conductor is quality stranded copper. I ended up ditching the brass connector on the right for the stainless ones in the packge I ordered. The stainless fit so much better on the plug.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
sounds about right to me. i think it should be around 1200 on the hose once it warms up a minute. Try to set it for around 700-800 when in forward gear in the water if it's not in that ball park.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Yep, mine (same motor) 1200 on the hose. On idle adjustment? I see it right there in the vid. Phillips head screw and lock nut on the black tower shaft.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
It will start easier when cold if you choke it.Push the key in and hold while cranking.

I just thought that too Frank, as heard zero " choke click" the start. ALSO I heard no start on fast idle either? For fast idle to start, pull the gear shift lever out to disengage the shift. Now the throttle will only increase a bit for a start. When fired, back it to center, push back in and ya good to go.
ALSO I should add on the LU those motors..NEVER EVER take that Phillips head screw out the side the gearcase, as THATS NOT A DRAIN! Holds the shift fork in and if taken out and drops down? Whole case gotta come apart to get back right. Drain a small Allen head screw lower front the bullet.

Steverino74

Seaman Apprentice
Good observations and feedback guys! I learned some things from you! Thanx !

Steverino74

Seaman Apprentice
Using your recommendations on what the idle should be, I fixed my tach problem, and then proceeded to adjust it to around 1300-1400 in a tub. I am going to take it out for a trial run on Sunday to see what else might need attention, and see how reliable it is at this point. I have an oar :) Getting a second one! I put sea foam in the tank, and an ethanol treatment as well as the fresh gas and oil. It may need mixture adjustments? Here's a video I did today of it starting up and with a lower idle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63T28SLThL0

Nordin

Commander
I would lower the idle RPM a little!!
About 1200 with muffs, you have it in a tube and there it should be about 900-1000 RPM because of you now have backpressur for the exhaust from the water.

In water and in gear with a prop, it should be 700-800 RPM.
To high RPM and you may worn the clutchdog and the clutch in the gears.

Steverino74

Seaman Apprentice
Yep! in the plans. Taking it out for an inaugural run today on the lake. The idle is #1 concern and I have tools with me to adjust it. But I put a can of Sea Foam and a bottle of Ethanol specific Sta-Bil in with some fresh gas. I need to make sure that's all well mixed up in there and run some through to see what gets cleaned out. Someone set the idle way high for some reason......so we'll see what happens here.

Steverino74

Seaman Apprentice
Man it sure runs different in the water as compared to in a tub! I had to re-set the idle much higher than when running in a tub! But I think we have the idle set close to where it needs to be. Took it out to the lake today for it's inaguaral run under my ownership. I put a lot of hours into it, just cleaning up old corroded connections. Added Sea Foam and Sta-Bil for Ethanol in the tank, along with about 10 gallons of fresh gas (and oil). It ran a tad rough at times, but by the end of a couple hours of running on the lake today, she was running pretty good! Here's a video taking it up to top speed after a long warm-up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmEgLt0puMc&feature=youtu.be

Steverino74

Seaman Apprentice
I have to look at the prop to see what the pitch is that is on there. The boat had a 19 pitch spare inside it when I bought it. Unsure of status. It had just reach top speed when I started to shut it down in that video. I am just going to be using it for fishing and as long as it gets me there, doesn't need to be fast. I'd rather the RPM's not get out of hand on that older motor. The oil jug in there that they were using to mix with gas was some cheap Wal-Mart generic brand. That scares me on wear and tear. But the compression all were near 125.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
I have to look at the prop to see what the pitch is that is on there. The boat had a 19 pitch spare inside it when I bought it. Unsure of status. It had just reach top speed when I started to shut it down in that video. I am just going to be using it for fishing and as long as it gets me there, doesn't need to be fast. I'd rather the RPM's not get out of hand on that older motor. The oil jug in there that they were using to mix with gas was some cheap Wal-Mart generic brand. That scares me on wear and tear. But the compression all were near 125.

Well first off I got the same boat and motor but a 1988, in salt too for 26 years now. The prop is 19P and fine for the boat, so no sweat there. And I have ran Wally oil for over a decade with zero problems. And on the tach? Fergetaboutit. Listen to the motor at idle in the water. And why on the muffs, way diff than dunked. Reason? Exhaust back pressure now, and then ya get a good "spit out the twin "ports middle. Now on idle in water? Just crank it down until it wants to stall shifting, like putting it in a slip, or parking a dock. Then crank it up a bit until it won't. Yer done. Go use it!