Mercury Force 120 Brand New Quicksilver Thermostat

nnk_boater

Cadet
I just installed a brand new 130 degree thermostat, Quicksilver part number F664068 from a lot dated 09/07/10. I notice that there is no tell-tale stream. I remove the freeze plug, connect a hose and I have enough flow to put out a 5 alarm fire. So, why is the thermostat not opening? I take it out and test it with a digital thermometer and it does not open until 148 to 150 degrees. I've arranged with the dealer to swap for a new one. The thermostat is stamped "130". So, am I being too anal? What's 20 degrees give or take going to do?

Prior to replacing the thermostat, the tell-tale stream started right after starting the motor, but the original thermostat was broken - stuck open.

Jiggz

Captain
T-stat rating temp is actually the temperature when it "starts" to open +/- 3 degrees and usually fully opens at +15~20 degrees over rated temp. I do not believe there is any problem with the new t-stat you have you just need to give it time to do its job. One thing you want to make sure is that the hi-temp alarm (set at 160F) does not go off. If it does, then maybe you need another new t-stat or it could be the high temp sensor is faulty.

As for the tell tale stream, you would never get a full stream like you had before without a t-stat or a faulty fully open t-stat unless you are operating at high speeds.