New Season, probably and old question

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer
Hi All

I'm back ;-)

I am ready to attack the water this season and was wondering if I should look for anything in particular on my 1988/125?? I have a retro fitted ignition with electronic distributor ( as opposed to 4x coils). So, do I take her out with a mate, frank's link and sync sticky, some tools and start from scratch, or, do I start her in the driveway, check the waterflow, or, do I just go out, start her up and assume everything is OK?????

Over to you;-)

PS.... I MUST fit that pee hole ( tell-tale) to it as well, but that is this years project;-)

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
I would not assume anything. Test as best you can in the driveway first. Bring some tools and extra spark plugs for your first outing. Be prepared for the worst...hope for the best. Good luck!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Nothing worse than getting to the ramp and not being able to start?
If I don't use my boat for more than 3-4 weeks I start it at home.
It always seems to start "but????"
Yesterday I went to retrieve something from the boat and stepped on the wheel to clime in and realized the tire was flat.
Not something I'd like to find at 6am on fishing day!!

Post a pic of the "new" electronics. Or a link to the place you bought it.J

Last edited:

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Jerry

Will do- the electronics are how I bought the boat a few years back, where the last owner paid ( are you sitting) $5500.00 to rebuild the power head. new pistons, rings etc, but instead of replacing one dud blue coil pack, they replaced the entire ignition system with the ( magnatec??) system. I have an electronic distributor, and a coil. I have done the link and sync, waterpump, lower unit etc recently, but should I do anything else other than start it on the driveway, check it, and go out with a friend ( as opposed to a family of 5) to take her for a test run??

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
Mate, if you are checking it do it in a tub opposed to muffs, and yes take your mate first, nothing worse than boat problems with a family who just want to enjoy the day. Take it out for a good hour so you get the feel for it again. Have you maintained your fuel with Stabil?
If you have done your water pump and lower unit you should be ok, but by putting it into a tub you could at least make sure your gearing is working as well, personally I don't like muffs especially when tuning, as there is no exhaust back pressure.

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
Just to add to that, if you want to come to the Tweed, I could be your mate :p Now that I don't have my boat (still in mourning for it) I need a bit of water time.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
What you have is the Motorola Magna-Power ignition system. While it is not quite as precise as the Prestolite four coil system, it is just as reliable. The one drawback is that the system needs a full 12 volts direct from the battery to operate. It is not self energizing like the Prestolite. The nice thing about it is if the previous owner replaced the rectifier with the bigger finned regulator/rectifier. No worries about overcharging the battery. Rest easy knowing that if you should have ignition problems you have the option of replacing individual components or replacing the whole system with the newer Prestolite system.