WD40 Motor Glaze

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys, I read here a few years ago that spraying a light glaze of WD40 over the motor was a good idea for winterizing.

Is that true, or, does it help?

I guess it can't hurt but wanted to hear from the community.

Thx Dave

Arawak

Chief Petty Officer
Well, it was developed to prevent corrosion in nuclear missiles by displacing water... surely it couldn't hurt. Might be hard on the soft plastics though.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
I bought my 125 out of the Jersey shore. The previous owner coated the engine block and wiring with a waxy type substance and told me that WD40 would remove it. I never did find out what the substance was and never did get around to removing it either. For a salt water engine there was remarkably little corrosion-- only damage was the transom clamps where the long bolts passed through. They had split from galvanic corrosion.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Aint gonna hurt a damn thing. Back in the 70's I sprayed down the whole power head on my XS Merc, as it sat out covered in the snow and cold all winter. Been doing it ever since boats. Do my 350 1977 Chevy K5 motor too as mostly sits and chrome A/C, carb, manifold, valve covers. Rather a little greasy than rust! Go for it,.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I used to do it then realized the buildup was getting nasty.
I started using a white lithium spray on the connectons/cables.
The stuff Frank mentioned is all over my friends 200 Johnson.
It cover/protects a lot until you spray WD on it and it turns gummy and ruined the shift assist.
I WD the starter worm gear and the outside of the bendix when it starts to make some noise.
The block I washed with Purple Power and Dawn.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
OK, I had to think a bit this as after 50 years boats and M/C's, theres a better product I've used. And theres no build up WD as ya only do it once. "Little Dab will do ya". Want off? Simple Green soaked and hose it off. But, learned long ago from a Harley wrench NOT to use WD on say clutch and brake exposed cables, as attracts dust and dirt, road grime. Said use this instead. This might be what the waxy stuff ya talking. Coat once, and forget it. Stuff works and made for it. Damn, seems I cant do the link IBoats. Just search CRC Marine corrosion inhiberter

Last edited:

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer
Okay TY!

I used it on my 85hp for a few winters and didn't have any problems. My '95 120hp is clean as a whistle and I'd like to keep it that way. Maybe a very light glaze should do it.

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
WD40 is a good product, but I have heard it is not good for the High Tension cables. I use silicone spray.