1968 Chrysler 55hp

Vintage Boat Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have just acquired a 1968 55hp Chrysler outboard that came with the original 1968 Chrysler Valiant boat. Now I got these two pieces because the boat is in good shape, the motor looks clean, but the pistons are stuck. I popped the head off and it looks like the top piston is burnt or corroded slightly. Should I find another power head or rebuild this one? I have filled both cylinders with oil and the bottom one looks more stuck than the top.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Depending on the condition??
IF???? it's been stuck and not turning? The rings will probably need to be changed.
Any damage to the cylinder walls?
A newer motor will be better on gas than these old guys.
My dad used to say they use so much fuel they must be gas cooled.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Rickryder, I opened that link and it started loading crap into my computer.
Luckily I caught it and deleted it.

rickryder

Commander
OK just checked the link and it downloaded the manual like it is supposed to....don't know what went on with yours?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
If you simply can not move the pistons with the flywheel, even using a little leverage, there is a distinct possibility that the pistons have a bit of corrosion on them and the rings are rusted. With a lot of work it is possible to free the pistons and you might even get the engine to work. But, that is doubtful. In this case, try a bit to free up the engine and if you are not successful try to buy a block off ebay or craigslist. Almost any Cgrysler of Force 50 or 55 will swap into the leg with the exception of the twin carb Chrysler 55. That is a completely different engine.

If you try to repair the existing engine you will be spending about 300-400 to fix a 200-300 dollar engine. Unfortunately, unless you can find a really cheap block it makes sense to buy a complete used engine in running condition.

Vintage Boat Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got the engine unseized after leaving it two weeks with oil in the head. Got it cleaned and running. Thanks