Stripped Drain Plug Screw

ksoiss25

Cadet
Hi, I feel like I'm going to be kicked off for all the questions I've been asking, but I just went to change the oil and my lower unit drain plug is stripped on my 1989 85hp Force. I've read some things that say you can use a helicoil to fix this. Is this hard to do? I got a few quotes, but they weren't exactly affordable for something that doesn't seem that complicated. Thanks as always.

Jiggz

Captain
There's actually another thread of the same subject. And come to find out the best fix or repair is to tap the hole to the next size using pipe threads and a next size plug. Since you mentioned helicoil, I'm surmising you are referring to the threads on the plug that was stripped. Verify the hole threads are intact if so, then you just need to replace the plug. If not, then proceed with the first suggestion of re-tapping to the next larger size plug.

The helicoil in this case is not practical as you need to create a seal with the threads which a helicoil is not designed to do. Maybe an insert but I doubt they make them that small.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Try a metric wrench.
You might have to tap it in with a hammer.
Crack open the vent to release pressure.
Then when it's hit with a torch.
Or use an easy out.
Again using a torch can help.
Just remember too hot can do a lot of damage.