intermintent ingnition issue 105 hp chrysler

rblazer

Recruit
I was getting boat ready for lake wanted to make sure it started before loading, would not start checked spark at coil with screwdriver in coil wire could not see spark, checked it again a few minutes later, spark was present and engine fired over, I figured maybe first test of ignition spark was fluke, we took it to lake and all went well Friday no problem starting, Saturday morning while crossing lake the motor died abruptly like you turned off the switch, I had left the bilge pump on all night so battery was weak and didn't turn over long but motor would not restart was towed back to dock. when I got home and charged battery it started again, any advice would be appreciated

Nordin

Commander
If your engine has the Motorola Magnapower I ignition system with a beltdriven distributor you have to have a well charged battery.
This ignition system need 12VDC to charge the capacitor in the CD box. If the voltage goes under 10 volts the ignition system fails.

You also have to check that the alternator is working and charging the battery.

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
Go over all your electrical connections and make sure they are clean and tight, sounds definately like an electrical problem/loose corroded connection.

Steverino74

Seaman Apprentice
Check the emergency cutoff switch. Those things get corroded in time and will kill the engine. I bought my boat cheap because it wouldn't start. I started checking everything and found that the emergency cuttoff switch was intermittent. Working it a few times fixed the problem and the engine started. But since I was troubleshooting, I went through everything. A lot of grounds were questionable so I took a wire brush to all grounds and put on new stainless star washers to bite in and give a good electrical connection. Also, look behind the ignition pack. I had some wires back there that MAY have been grounding out. Clean all other connections with a wire brush and put on dielectric grease to prevent corrosion. Clean battery connections well and put on dielectric grease and new star washers.

Last edited: