120 HP Force Fuel Pump rebuild and check valves

nnk_boater

Cadet
My fuel pump check valves are shown here with retainer rod installed. The check valve has a plastic disk only. The rebuild kit (Sierra 18-7817) has a clear plastic disk and a rubber disk. The service manual shows these as plastic disk and check valve. If I follow the manual, I install both. However, I've read that the check valve should be installed omitting the rubber disk (use plastic disk only) for the new ethanol fuel. This would also be consistent with the check valve assembly before I started the rebuild. Opinions?

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c194/nnk_boater/Fuel Pump/check_valve_zps7209d07a.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c194/nnk_boater/Fuel Pump/manual_zps714b01c2.jpg

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
Try it without first and if you have problems, install the rubber disc? Personally I would install the rubber one as well and check after say 6 months use.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
The check valve is the rubber disk. The plastic disk is kind of a backing plate for the rubber disk. The rubber disk is the actual seal of the check valve. You install both per the service manual for proper operation.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The Mercury kits (for Mercury motors)don't use the black things.
They come with the clear plastic only.
I'd install it just like it came out. Just like the Mercurys.
Post a pic of the directions where it says not to use the rubber if you use Ethanol.Never saw that before.TY,J

nnk_boater

Cadet
Post a pic of the directions where it says not to use the rubber if you use Ethanol.Never saw that before.TY,J

That was a comment to a YouTube video showing the rebuild of this exact fuel pump and everyone knows that YouTube video comments are the best source of accurate information :rolleyes:.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Oh I agree. U-Tube and Facebook are the best sources of info,
If it's on the net it HAS to be true!!!