force 40 Carb

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
hello All I have a NEW to me force 40 she's hard to start, sometimes she starts right up, Cold/warm doesn't matter, and them sometimes when I put er in gear she will die. again no ryme,reason. I'm thinking Carb Kit. also maybe fuel pump rebuild. there is no evidence of fuel pump rebuild. but carb does look like it's been removed. once Also, with engine tilted up after trying to start, there is a lot of fuel comming out of the carb. I would say about 1/2 of a shot glass full. I took her out this weekend, after comming home I removed the fuel line, and I looked at it this morning and there is a lot of fuel in the carb, and a little around the edge.PIC And where can I get these rebuild kits at, I looked at one place but I didn't have the numbers they wanted.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The leak is a normal thing with these outboards.
The carb could probably need cleaning???
Need more info: year, model?
The choke or primer might have something to do with it running poor???Again Year/model???
The carb has an air screw that adjusts the air/fuel mix for idle.
It should be initially set at 1 and 1/2 to 2 turns out for initial tuning.
Then when it's warm. In gear turn it in until it stumbles or stalls then out 1/2 turn.
For parts look on this site. Again need the year?
Good luck

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
Took carb off, Cleaned it,Didnt find anything no dirt no varnish nothing, took some wd sprayed all inlets, took compressed air dried it again cleaned all small inlets, and such, didn't have a carb kit, was just very carefull, Dammed boat started right up, have tested it many times, it starts up very quickly, I have been amazed that I found nothing wrong, and it worked sowell. cant wait to get on water and adjust low speed needle. thanks for susguestions.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I worked on a carb for a 120
I took it apart 4 times and couldn't find anything wrong.
The 4th time it started and ran like nothing was ever wrong.
I found NOTHING!!!!

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
I kno, Right,,,,, I wanted to post my findings to maybe help others, I had no rebuild kit, Just went exploring, Hate it when Icant find anyhting wrong. However this boat had been sitting and I should have knowned better, But sometimes we take our chances, Amazing how jsut cleaning makes allthe diffrance in the world, I'm still getting too much fuelto card. My oppion, But like posted earlyer this is the way it is.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
At Wally World, they sell a filter G-2 or G-12 depending on hose size?
Just a few $ install it between the carb and the fuel pump.
It stops all the little ukkies from getting to the carb.
Also Ethanol isn't a friend to the older hoses, it can melt the insides and screw with the rubber in the quick disconnect.
Change out to better hoses and a different connector. OMC, Yamaha or Mercury work much better.