Just bought a 65hp Chrysler, a no runner

las

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I might try and retard the timing a bit once on the water to see if the engine likes it.
I also have an idea about using a lead substitute with octane booster build into it, in fact I already did, rings and bearings would last longer with the lead is my assumption... Also the octane boost should prevent pinging.

Nordin, regarding the fuel i'm guessing it's the lead you mean? I personally believe the fuel has gotten better, cleaner at least, besides the lead missing!
Also here in DK we can buy 99 octane Shell V-power, with some pretty good additives in it.
I have used V-power fuel with Shell cart 2 stroke oil (castor based) for years in 1/5 gas RC cars at a competitive level with great results.

Could this 2 stroke oil be used on the water? I figure the reason to use marine 2 stroke oil is because the way it interacts with the water once burned! What would happen???

Jerry, I'm starting pretty much at zero with this engine. Most people do a bad job when trying to fix stuff themselves.
The guy who tried to fix it up before me was a mechanic... as am I. But that's no guarantee of a job well done.
I found the red part of the ignition advance rod, closest to the flywheel, was lose. Upon further investigations I found it was flipped around and therefore the bolt no longer fit. The red part has a recces where the head of the bolt should go thus enabling it to be tightened against the advance arm. The other way round the bolt would simply lock the arm and eventually work lose....

So with this engine as with many other thing people have tinkered with, it's from scratch!

Nordin

Commander
las About the fuel I mean the octane and the use of ethanol.
Here in Sweden we do not be able to find 98 octane fuel so easy.
Most it is 95 octane and some ethanol in it.
A 2 stroker do not need any lead. It does not have any valves that need lead for lubrication as a 4 stroker.

With lower octane you might have to retard the timing. BUT do a test in water and check the performance.
If you run 99 octane ..... leave the timing at 32 dgr BTDC at WOT.

You should use TWC 3 2 stroke oil in the outboard.

las

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ah ok, I think we use less ethanol in our fuel here in DK anyways.

I can't remember where i read about it or why, but I put it in the back of my head to try and use lead substitute on my 2 stroke RC motors and figured I might as well use in the boat as well. Could it be coating the bearings or perhaps help heat transfer from piston or rings? Well I'll try and remember where and why if I come across it again.

Just googling oil now.

What oil ratio do you run in these old engines?

Nordin

Commander
Oil ratio 50:1.
1 liter oil to 50 liter fuel or 0,2 liter oil to 10 liter fuel.

Use TCW 3 oil (TCW= two stroke water cool) .

las

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok thanks, I also read that while I was googling oil.
But I have to admit I think it's not much oil! But if that's what the manufacturer recommends, then that's it.

I did go out and buy some ordinary castrol outboard TCW3 oil today.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The TCW-3 is a low ash oil and designed to not carbon the rings.
​The old oils before the TCW ratings took effect actually were designed to foul the rings.
I bought my boat new in 88 and within 3 mo I had the rings carbon up and had to re-ring both motors.
I had to do both motors again before the newest oil was put out.
Then they made TCW-3 and the problem stopped.

You can still have carbon problems if your motors not set up right or you run too much oil in the gas.

This and all production made outboards are made to run on regular pump gas.
Premium can hurt the 2 strokes in the long run.
Look up the burn rate of premium compared to regular.

The octane boosters and most additives aren't needed.
Things like Ethanol Stabilizer and Staybil are good.
But only if your motor sets for extended time.

Dry gas helps if you have a small amount of water in the tank.
Boat stove alcohol is better.

Ethanol seems to have water in it already and if it sets it breaks down and seems to end up in the carb and hoses.

las

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi folks, I have now tested the boat a few times and still have lots of issues, but not of the same nature. Motor starts and runs good and for the runs I have been doing so far I have used regular gas with 50:1 TCW3 oil

Jerry I just re-read your answer and I can't recall ever seeing or hearing about higher burn rate of premium, I know it resists knock better and that's the reason you can run higher advance with higher octane.

But thanks to the wonderful people helping here.......

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Should have said "longer" burn of the premium.
​My boats set all summer , TOO HOT.
Before I go out I will drain the hoses and filters and change the bad or dirty filters.

The ethanol seems to break down quicker in the hoses and filters.

I have a water separating filter and a filter between the carb and the pump.

I plan on cleaning the recirc system too.

Just so I don't have a problem.