question about my 1988 force 50

zigman23

Recruit
I have a 1988 force 50 after the rebuild on my 15' bayliner and motor i am having problems gettin it to plain out I.E. it wont at all not will it rev to full rpm in foward but will in reverse. It will also rev out of water in a can full of water i dont know what the problem is. I have cleaned the carb and the motor in and out replaced the plugs, gas line, gas filter, dighfram, gas tank, lowerseals and oil in the lower unit i do not fell or see any binding in the lower unit and i have no idea why it will not rev only in foward? Please help oh my prop is a 10 3/8 by 12 1/2 by 3.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Next thing would be to check if you have a good strong spark to both cylinders. There are a couple of different types of ignition systems used on those motors. Either a model number or better yet, a picture of the coils and ignition system would help so that the folks on this Forum can give you specific advice.

zigman23

Recruit
I have replaced all electric component such as the satotr, trigger, rectifier, cdi, and im only getting spark tru #1 cylinder and not #2 firing ifni switch the leeds #2 fire #1 dose not i dont know what to do or were to go with it please help

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
IF???? It's working in R then there is nothing wrong with the carb or fuel delivery..
No spark is a problem.
The switching the leads just confirms the problem.
Try switching the coils.If it stays on the same after the switch then my first "guess" would be the pack is bad.
Check/ replace the wire connectors on the trigger, stator, coil and pack.
The connectors, some have shrink wrap and the wire can break under the wrap.
Outboard iginition . com Or CDI ignition has test procedures for the motor.