how to remove "ball" on propeller shaft 1987 50hp

czr12x

Recruit
Hello. Have the wonderful bearing replacement carriage kit. However, it appears the "ball" that is on the propeller shaft needs to be removed. How do you remove this ball?? The new bearing does not have the slot like the old one. Does the ball fall out? If so, it appease stuck. I tried a magnet but no go.. any ideas?

czr12x

Recruit
How do I get to the spring pin? Are you referring to the highlight in this diagram? A blow up of the 1987 drive references part 22 as a "spring pin" and 20 as the "ball". Is this the spring pin you speak of? We are trying to repair this with the boat on the lift. I guess I am an looking for a little instruction.

50 H.P.png

Attachments

• 50 H.P.png
    50 H.P.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 50 H.P.png
    50 H.P.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 1

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
I forget exactly, but the ball is pressed in and not meant to come out. You will need to hammer on the new bearing or using a Dremel, carefully grind the ball down. It is meant to keep the inner race of the bearing from rotating on the prop shaft BUT, It is NOT a necessary part: Older Chrysler engines did not have it. There is another idea: If you can easily find a Chrysler prop shaft in good condition, use that.

Last edited:

czr12x

Recruit
We were thinking about the Dremel before I posted. I have that and some wheels... will give that a try and report back. it would have been a 10 mins install had it not been for that ball! The carriage pak purchase is a nice option. just gotta deal with the ball.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, I gave some bad advice. If you hammer the bearing on, it will most likely crack so the best option is to grind the ball down flush with the shaft or very slightly above it so the bearing is a tight press fit on the shaft. This requires several trials.

czr12x

Recruit
yeah. the instructions state using lock tight in lew of the bearing, a couple of drops where the ball was located per the instructions.