1969 55 hp Chrysler wont start

eric75tn

Recruit
I change the impeller and put lower unit back in and now won't start.. I have fire on plugs. Fuel to carberator. Not sure what happened.. Ran fine until I pulled lower unit. New to owning a boat..thanks

glennkil

Seaman
I'm guessing by the fact that you have spark that it cranks over? I would have put my money on the neutral safety switch otherwise with the shift linkage not adjusted properly.

eric75tn

Recruit
Can I bypass the neutral safety switch? To see if that is it. Could I have messed the timing up?

wickware

Lieutenant
In the neutral shifting position, the button on the black neutral switch (attached) should be compressed to crank. If you are cranking and have fire, IMO this is not a neutral switch issue.

With good Fire/Fuel/Compression it should run. We are missing something if it ran before the L/U repair. Think back as to what could be missing if you are saying it will crank with fire but w/n start.
2010 Cleaning Since 1985, as needed Greasing (1).JPG

eric75tn

Recruit
I moved ignition switch, replaced cable on drum steering. Could have a bad connection on ignition.

wickware

Lieutenant
Did you take Pics if the ignition’s wiring before recent work. I would suspect the ignition wiring if you d/n feel solid on it being wired correct.

Is it a plain Magneto Sys with the coil, points and condensers under the flywheel? If so, you should be able to start it fairly easy w/o the switch to know it is not wired correct.

I have a 70 35hp Chrysler with Mag Sys that is the same as some 55hp except for piston and etc to give it the 55hp power. I can pull start my 35 with a rope on the flywheel if it is not killed with the switch. Do you have a manual to show what color wires go where on the switch? Is the wiring diagram on the side of your motor showing what color wires represent what?

My 35 is electric start but I can jump the solenoid with the switch off to not kill the mag’s fire and jump start w/o the switch. I hope this helps in your troubleshooting. Plus, I feel others will help you if you h/n figured it out. A good close Pic of your switch as it is wired will be very helpful and Pic of wiring diagram on side of the motor. Most of all, ID what color wires are connected to what pole markings on the switch and what color wires = what on the side of the motor.

NYBo

Admiral
Neutral safety switch interrupts the starter circuit, not the ignition circuit.