chrysler 1971 105hp melting battery

Jarood

Recruit
Hey everyone! I'm having a rather big issue with my 1971 105hp Chrysler motor. I just bought it about three months ago and I'm just now starting to work on it. It's been sitting for a while so I changed the l/u oil, rebuild the carbs, and changed the spark plugs. Now I got it started the other day (almost) it ran for maybe 15 seconds than it stopped. It backfires by the prop? I don't know what that mean but I kept trying to start it than all of a sudden my battery terminal was smoking and than the connector on the battery melted off. (And I made sure the lines were connected right) please does anyone know why this motor is melting my battery?

Last edited:

CreekCruiser

Seaman Apprentice
Were your battery cables sized correctly? If they are to small then they will not be able to dissapate the heat generated by the flow of current every time you try to start your engine. If you keep trying to crank the cables just continue to heat up. The other thing I would look at is corrosion at the terminals not allowing you to get a good connection. This will also cause excessive heat. I would check those things first and report back.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Do a compression test.
Uneven comp make the motor hard to turn over.
Making the starter draw a lot more than it usually does.
Also bearings in the lower that are corroded/seizing will do the same.
Check/clean the starter.
A loose connection can do that.

Jarood

Recruit
Yes I have the small ground wire hood up to the battery. I will change that to the larger terminal. I checked the compression when I first got the motor but I don't remember what it was at. Now if the compression is bad what do I need to do? Change the piston seals? And what is the fuel diaphragm?

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
Personally if I were you I would start with buying a manual, it will show you exactly where and what the parts are so you can get familiar with your new to you OB