EBay Old Stock Impellers

Klink

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 5hp Force outboard and the impellers for the engine have a list price of $95. The impeller is a little bigger diameter than a Quarter coin, without a doubt the most expensive marine motor impeller pound for pound in the world! Sellers on EBay sometimes offer these impellers on EBay anywhere from $30 to $60 and it is very inviting, HOWEVER, I noticed that every single last one of them was old stock from 1997 and such or the date was unknown because the packaging was missing.

WARNING: Outboard motor impellers are made of neoprene rubber, and neoprene rubber has a shelf life of 5-6 years. I would not advise anyone to buy old impellers unless they like to take apart engines. In the case of Mercury, they show on the package the date of manufacture of their parts. I'm sure all the others do the same. If you don't see a date on manufacture for an impeller, don't buy it.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
There was a similar topic not too long ago. The poster stocked up on Mercury or Mercruiser impellers and when one was used it lasted a very short time. When he checked the manufacturing date molded into the rubber, the "new" impellers were several decades old. He ended up tossing his stock in the bin.

This a very worthwhile warning, Klink.

paddlers

Seaman Apprentice
Couldn't agree more. It's probably the most important bit that you'll ever replace on your engine so why try to cut costs when the downside is a ruined engine. Expensive but I always get mine from a stealer, sorry I mean dealer in that manufacturer so I know it's got to be the genuine article.

gregmsr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yea I tried the "less expensive" impeller couple years ago. Didn't have a failure but one can tell the difference between the two.
Buy the good stuff when it's that important.........