1975 Chrysler 45hp Outboard Drive Shaft Seal Removal

OldBoat2022

Cadet
Whats the best way to remove the drive shaft seal on this motor? Should the drive shaft pull out? Or do they sell a handy tool for pulling the seal with the shaft still in place? Thanks in advance for any information on this topic.

wickware

Lieutenant
I’m not sure if you are referring to the drive shaft to the lower unit or prop shaft extending out the L/U. There was good prop shaft info in the search if the upgrade saved it. I have Pics of a 1970 35hp that should be the same and it could be a youtube on the process.

wickware

Lieutenant
Looking back at your post, I feel your drive shaft from the motor to thr L/U is not dropping as it should. This could be due to corrosion due to salt water or Etc. The shaft should drop from the splines if this is the case. There will be some tips coming that I have read vs needed in fresh water.

OldBoat2022

Cadet
No, I was able to remove the lower unit with no prob, drive shaft pulled out of the splines from the top half of the motor just fine. Have the L/U sitting on work bench. Water pump is removed, and I am to the drive shaft seal. To remove that seal is where my problem is. Should the drive shaft pull out of the lower unit or can I get this seal removed with the shaft there?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Simply pull up on the drive shaft to remove it. Then use a seal puller or a large screwdriver to pop out the seal. It may take some work. Position the driver around the perimeter while pulling up. Install the new seal garter-spring side up.

OldBoat2022

Cadet
Simply pull up on the drive shaft to remove it. Then use a seal puller or a large screwdriver to pop out the seal. It may take some work. Position the driver around the perimeter while pulling up. Install the new seal garter-spring side up.

OK thank you! I tried pulling the drive shaft out of the L/U but it goes so far and stops. So I wasn't sure if I was able to pull it out that way or not. Didn't want to break something. Looking at the parts diagram it looks like it should come right out. Is it normal to have some resistance when pulling the drive shaft out, or should it slide right out?

wickware

Lieutenant
Replacing the impeller prop shaft seals is as deep as I have been since I have not see signs of water in the L/U vs oil coming out.

My Clymer manual shows a seal and bearing that should allow the shaft to slide out. IMO you should be able to get some penetrating oil down the shaft onto the bearing that is holding the shaft. Otherwise a slide hammer might assist you to snatch the shaft out. “BUT”, I would wait for the Techs with Direct Experience To OK This Method. OR! Is there enough seal metal there to work or tear it out w/o damaging the drive shaft? Please get Techs opinion if this is an option.

OldBoat2022

Cadet
Replacing the impeller prop shaft seals is as deep as I have been since I have not see signs of water in the L/U vs oil coming out.

My Clymer manual shows a seal and bearing that should allow the shaft to slide out. IMO you should be able to get some penetrating oil down the shaft onto the bearing that is holding the shaft. Otherwise a slide hammer might assist you to snatch the shaft out. “BUT”, I would wait for the Techs with Direct Experience To OK This Method. OR! Is there enough seal metal there to work or tear it out w/o damaging the drive shaft? Please get Techs opinion if this is an option.

I'm not sure if ill be able to work it out. At first, that's what my plan was, but the seal metal is in pretty bad shape and a little rusty. Ive been spraying penetrating oil on it thinking it might make it a little easier on me when I do get a game plan.
Don't want to sound dumb but I am new to this forum, when you say get a Techs opinion are you recommending I call a marina or are there Techs on here?
Thank you for the information you have given me so far. I wasn't sure about putting force on the drive shaft to remove it. It pulls out a good ways, seems to me it is hanging up about where the splines would be meeting the bearing or seal. Maybe a slide hammer is what I need...

wickware

Lieutenant
“Don't want to sound dumb but I am new to this forum, when you say get a Techs opinion are you recommending I call a marina or are there Techs on here?”

My ref is to Techs are here, “You have some of the best on the Old Chryslers”. They’ll get back to you, as I think the post goes to the top when you reply. If they are not here with suggestions by tomorrow you might add, “Hello 70s Chrysler Techs”, as a New Title (with current info).

Can you post a Picture of what you see at this point? I tried to find a youtube showing the process, when I found the slide hammer suggestion but it was not related to a Chrysler.

OldBoat2022

Cadet
No Title

This is what I am looking at. This is right below the impeller housing. Need to replace that drive shaft seal. The drive shaft just wont pull out. I can get it to come almost out but seems like when the splines meet with the bearing or seal it stops.

Attachments

• photo208461.jpg
    photo208461.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
The splines are simply a slip fit in the pinion. However, there is a plain sintered bearing at the top, just below the seal, and if the splines are dicked-up even slightly they will hang up inside this bearing. Also, If the seals are good and the lower unit is full of oil, there will be a vacuum pulled as you try to remove the shaft. You can feel the resistance.

At this point, if you need to remove the shaft, you need to get medieval on it and use some force.

wickware

Lieutenant
Frank and Other Experienced 70s Chrysler Techs. Would vise grips well below the top splines on the shaft with a section of pipe on the shaft below the grips serve as a slide hammer to shock the shaft up and out w/o possible damage?

OldBoat2022

Cadet
OK thanks guys! I will see what I can do, now that I know what it takes to get her out. Thanks for all the information!!

OldBoat2022

Cadet
Frank and Other Experienced 70s Chrysler Techs. Would vise grips well below the top splines on the shaft with a section of pipe on the shaft below the grips serve as a slide hammer to shock the shaft up and out w/o possible damage?

What kind of grips?

wickware

Lieutenant
You might know them as locking pliers that you can adjust and clamp onto the shaft as a stop. Then slide pipe fitting loose on the shaft up to hit the vise grips to shock or drive the shaft up. If you have not heard of vise grips or locking pliers, we need to talk.

OldBoat2022

Cadet
You might know them as locking pliers that you can adjust and clamp onto the shaft as a stop. Then slide pipe fitting loose on the shaft up to hit the vise grips to shock or drive the shaft up. If you have not heard of vise grips or locking pliers, we need to talk.

OK thank you. And yes I am familiar with vise grips! I was assuming that's what you were talking about.

wickware

Lieutenant
OldBoat, I hope the seal is out and in by now by now. If I need to take a pipe and pair of vise grips to show my idea as a slide hammer (to assist you), please let me know. Was the motor used in salt or fresh water?