anti cavitation plate with trim tab

drobertsobx

Seaman
Hi,
I just went to adjust my fin to the right for a starboard pull at cruising speed. The Bolt came out one turn then snapped.
My question:
Can the outboard be run without the trim fin?
I can't schedule a repair till next month, and would like to fish out the rest of the month.

Thanks
Don

Jiggz

Captain
Yes, you can run the motor without the trim tab or fin. Since the props rotates CW, that means there will be constant pull to the right which you would have to fight constantly especially at high speeds.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
What we working on??Really should add the year/model.
Some have trim fin some have exhaust snout/trim. The problem with no trim fin. No problem.
If it's an exhaust snout.Then you'll end up with the exhaust emptying right into the prop.
This will make the prop cavitate.

drobertsobx

Seaman
Thanks all... I have another question off topic... How can you tell when the Impeller is getting weak? The water from the indicator (bottom of motor base) is warm, and weak at 900 rpm just putting along, seems stronger at high rpm but can't check while driving for temperature. I always thought the indicator was supposed to be cold???

paddlers

Seaman Apprentice
More powerful at higher revs due to faster rotation of the impeller and if the water stream is doing its job (circulating to remove heat from the combustion process) it should be warm !

Jiggz

Captain
Usually at idle due to low volume and slower running of cooling water being ran through, the tell tale will be warmer compare to at higher rpm. This is despite the fact that the engine produces more heat at high rpm (but also with higher and faster volume of cooling water being pumped through), because there is only so much heat transfer that can happen with higher volume of cooling water which is not only more in volume but also faster going through the cooling jackets.

drobertsobx

Seaman
Strange but true... Without the Trim Plate the motor had so little pull to either side it was like power steering, if it were not the zinc anode too, I would leave the fin off.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The zinc has 2 jobs.
One is help with the corrosion the other to help with the steering.
If you don't keep it in the water you don't have to worry about the first.

drobertsobx

Seaman
I don't keep her in the water, but am 100% Salt Water operation (Hose Flushed for 5 minutes when home) ... I figure it's cheap insurance???

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I ALWAYS flush.
Even then you'd be surprised how much stuff/crud can be left in the system.
I changed the impellers a while ago and the amount of salt build up in the pump was amazing.
I flush for 5 or more minutes and it still doesn't get it all.

drobertsobx

Seaman
I purchased a whole pump assembly for my winter project then I plan to swap out impeller every two years asa pprecaution. I also wax the entire motor the day before I plan to go... Every little bit helps in salt water.