1985 85 HP stator burned up

firedawg662

Cadet
So my motor was running like a champ one day and I had no spark the next. A visual inspection of the all the wiring showed a burned wire on the stator. After much difficulty removing the flywheel ( one hole kept stripping out), The stator showed several damaged poles. Some were brown/black and the one wire had burned completely in two. Bad stator or do I need to keep looking before I fry a $230 new one? I can post pics if a visual would help.

Jiggz

Captain
There are two separate ckts on this stator, one is for charging and the other is to power up the CDM's. The CDM's are mostly electronics and have much lower energy threshold to burn open than the stator windings. The charging ckt is about the same, wherein the rectifier is designed to burn open first before the stator charging winding. The most likely cause of stator winding burnt is due to shorts to ground caused by worn insulation in the winding or the wiring going to the CDM's or to the rectifier. When this happens, there is no ckt protection to protect the stator winding hence causing it to burn open. Another cause is magnet that has fallen off and rubbed off the insulation.

You need to inspect where the windings shorted to ground or how the insulation either burnt or scraped off. double check the CDM's for any indication overheating.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
i have the same year engine and same thing happened to me a few years ago - i got mine from outboardignition.com and I highly recommend them. They have good prices and you get a 2 year warranty or you can add 3 more years for 40 bucks or something like that - they have better wiring. Look up your engine and year and they have troubleshooting PDF for the stator - mine had no resistence on the wires - new one on and it fired right up. There tests are accurate - i blew a power pack this year (it was 30 years old) and it got it from there too - fired right up - the other power pack from replaced by previous owner about 10-12 years ago. It's just heat and age that gets too them I think. Do the test and you will feel more confident.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The leads short out because the connectors don't make a good connection.
You have the plug in type and they fit loosely.
Undo the connector and hook them direct with a butt connector.
Test the rectifier and trigger before you go boating.
The shorting could have affected things.

firedawg662

Cadet
Thanks for the info guys. I just ordered a new stator and rectifier from outboardignition.com. replacing the stator and not the rectifier is like changing an alternator but not the voltage regulator on a car. I will check the flywheel magnets and the trigger on the motor this coming week.
Jerry are you saying to cut the connectors off and straight wire w a waterproof butt connector?

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
if your stator is still on take 3 or 4 pics so you can make sure everything is connected correctly - i know on mine the larger replacement wire was on a different side so I had to route the wires to the other side of the engine. After you put the stator on just make sure you zip-tie the hanging wires so they won't contact the flywheel when spinning. Then just make sure the flywheel key is in place and put the flywheel on. Tighten the nut down lightly then get a torque wench and torque it to 90 foot lbs. The clicking style wrench works best. This must be 90 or you risk sheering the flywheel key when running.