Need replacement trim switch on starboard side single remote control

irishrover

Cadet
The small red switch that controls the trim on my 1989 85 hp force has broken. The plastic corners that you press mysteriously broke off after kids used it one day. Power trim still works but you have to press in hard to trigger it. Is their anywhere I can just get the small toggle switch and install it in the current control arm?

Jiggz

Captain
A picture of the outside (showing the toggle) and also the inside showing the number of terminals will be very helpful.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
That switch USED to be available as an assembly but as I remember it was very pricey--like 60 bucks for switch and pigtail wire. Because that particular switch is a press in or snap in switch it is very difficult to find in electronic supply stores.

Are you certain the switch is broken or has it simply been pushed in too far by ham-handed kids? Open the handle and see if the switch itself is correctly located.. If necessary use a drop of glue or brace behind it.

You can TRY to find a complete control box with switch or do as I do: Buy a single pole M-O-M switch at radio shack and wire red in the center, green at the top and blue at the bottom. Make a small aluminum bracket and mount to under the dashboard. Yeah, it is a little less convenient but it works.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Bayliner used to install a 3 position momentary switch in the dash right next to the key.
The switch doesn't need to be a heavy duty as the relays take the brunt of the draw.
Color code.
Remember Blue sky is up.
Green grass is down.

NYBo

Admiral
Bayliner used to install a 3 position momentary switch in the dash right next to the key.
My Bayliner's motor didn't come with power T&T but there was a plugged hole in the dash for the switch. That's where I installed mine when I added PT&T.
Color code.
Remember Blue sky is up.
Green grass is down.
Love it! Maybe I will be able to remember it now...:redface:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
That color coded thingy I just saw it about a month ago.
I was changing a trim motor on a Mercury and someone posted it.
Untill then it was, HMMMM what wire does what???