1970(?) 120hp worth rebuilding?

Captain Bravo

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a 120hp Chrysler model 1207HA S#4997 from an auction. Two of the cylinders are scuffed and would need to be bored and new pistons, but the top cylinder is actually cracked. About 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" in from the cylinder head. So two questions. 1. Can a cylinder be welded and bored? (I assume so, but I would like to hear from someone else) 2. Is a 1970 120hp Chrysler worth putting the money and work into or should I just part it/scrap it, save a little to go with it, and buy a newer motor? I have $250 into it right now.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Anything's possible with the right amount of $$$$
The cylinder could be welded and bored.
Post a few pics?
But it sounds like a money pit to me.

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
Captain, I found a 100hp 1979 Chrysler for $350 Australian dollars, it had 150+ psi on all cylinders. Don't waste your money and time on a wreck, part it out or keep parts for your next good Chrysler OB. I would probably keep it for spare parts personally.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Cylinders can not be welded and rebored. However a new sleeve can be inserted.(for around 300 bucks) After all that work, you still have an old fashioned engine worth 250-300 bucks. The only time you rebuild a Chrysler that old is if you are emotionally attached or you are putting it on a period correct boat. Part it out and sell the components on ebay or craigslist. You probably will get your money back but that's it. Consider yourself lucky but in the future don't buy these old engines at auction--you may get lucky but in all likelihood you will pay too much

Captain Bravo

Seaman Apprentice
Many thanks for the feedback guys. I was leaning towards parting/scrapping it, but thought it was worth asking.