85hp force tilt and trim diagnosis

Ayellaone

Cadet
I have a 85hp force tilt and trim. I took most of the pieces off a 125hp force outboard. When I hit the switch in either the up or down direction, the relay just clicks. Where do I go next with figuring out how to make this work?

NYBo

Admiral
Two wire t & t motor? Disconnect the blue and green wires that go to the motor from the wiring harness. Connect them directly to 12 volts. The motor should spin and the outboard should tilt. Reversing the blue and green should cause the outboard to move in the other direction. Report back.

CAUTION: The trim motor draws a fair amount of current and will create sparks when you touch the leads directly to the battery terminals. You don't want to have the battery anywhere the fuel tank vent or other sources of gas vapors. The leads from the trim motor should be long enough for you to put the battery on the ground on the starboard side of the transom.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Pull the wires from the relays. Spray WD-40 in the relays and on the contacts.
Plug em back in and see if that helps.
NO help: Then the next thing is like NYBo suggests.

flboy0638

Seaman Apprentice
I got this same issue. A new male relay end is not expensive but the female harness end is. your trim tilt motor is prolly good but its the trim relays. I still have not figure mine out either but after replacing the male relay i ordered the female harness. I also cleaned all my grounds with sandpaper too so try that. I took a dremel with a special head to my relay and i cleaned the inside of female ends manually with a cut up fingernail file. none of this did anything for me so thats why I ordered the female harness