85hp force outboard electrical issues

Ayellaone

Cadet
Last summer I had an issue with spark in my number three cylinder. A guy who works on boats conducted a pressure test and all of my cylinders are good around 140. This summer I replaced a cdi box, and started getting spark. Had a fuel issue next, so I sprayed some gas into the intake and the motor ran for a minute. I then got worried because no water was coming out of the back of the motor. I was running it in a bucket, with a hose and had plenty of water. I loaded the boat up, went down to the river and found out the battery was dead after failing to get it started after multiple cranks. I then went home and charged the battery. I was going to mess with the carbs today, but I found out that I had no spark in cylinder one again. I checked the wires and figure it wasn't the cdi box. I then changed the power pack. Still no spark. Is my issue the trigger or stator? I have been feeling my way through repairs through research. If it is either, how do I change it, and if I change it, will one work from a 125ph force? This is where I get all my spare parts, could this also be an issue? Thanks for you help in advance.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
parts for a 125 will work as long as it's the same kind of connectors - some of the white ones have the round connectors and the blue engines have a terminal block. As long as your connectors are the same there is not difference between engines. I think you might be able to swap leads on your CDI box (which is the power pack) - maybe you meant coil. go to outboardignition.com and look up the troubleshooting docs for your engine - they helped me.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Sometimes??? The trigger leads break under the shrink wrap next to the connector.
They can even pass a tug test.
One of my motors started missing when it was cold.Once it warmed up it would run great.
Then one day it just wouldn't run right.
I kinda knew where to look. The first wire on the trigger was the problem.
I replaced ALL the connectors even the ones from the stator.
Yes the stator from the 125/85/50/150 all will work.
The plug in ones will work too you just have to figure out what wires go where.

Ayellaone

Cadet
Awesome, I am going to look at my wiring today along with changing some connectors. Hopefully it is something simple. I will repost when I figure it out. Thanks for the help.