is there a hose adapter kit available to flush Force o/b's?

mango1229

Cadet
i've rented a saltwater boat slip and am looking for an easy way to flush my motor. I do have a fresh water hose valve/hose at my dock but i have been unable to find hose adapter options like most other outboards have. My motor is a '98 Merc Force 120. I may be able to use the Muffs with engine titled down but i'm not sure if it would suck some saltwater in as well and defeat the whole purpose of flushing? If no hose adapters are available for this motor, has any one successfully rigged up a hose, maybe via the tell-tale stream or such?
thanks !

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No, just put the muffs on and lower it.
It shouldn't suck in any salt water.
And if it did it wouldn't be much.
When you get home give her a good flush using a salt away solution or bleach, even a vinegar and water flush?

mango1229

Cadet
Jerry, i may be renting the slip long term so i didn't know if the "muff's under water method" would be ok since i won't be taking home to flush out. is there anything i can or should do to ensure a better seal around the intake opening?
thanks!

Jiggz

Captain
With these o/b motors, with your requirements you will probably need modified muffs that will hold higher water pressure without slipping off the bullet. The reason for this is the required increase in fresh water pressure to ensure no salt water gets in while letting some of the fresh water out during flushing. With regular muffs, with higher water pressure there is a tendency for the muffs to slip off. And if you are doing this under water (sea water) there is good probability you will defeat the purpose of flushing if saltwater gets in.

Flushing under sea water requires higher water pressure from the hose to push back the sea water. But the muffs must be able to hold or clamp onto the bullet and not slip off.

Jiggz

Captain
Maybe instead of the single flow motor flusher you can go for the dual flow to ensure both sides pushes back seawater instead of just one side.

mango1229

Cadet
NYBO: i actually have those muffs and they do seal pretty well, though water does still leak..i have flushed it with these in my slip a couple of times now and its almost impossible to tell if it is sucking in any seawater. My guess is that it probably isnt and i'm probably over thinking all of this..
Jiggz: dual flow muffs seem like a good idea.. are they actually made for in-water flushing?

just a random thought here: my hose sprayer/nozzle has a small tip that fits pretty well inside the tell-tale exit hole. Assuming the motor is already warm and t-stat is open, can i just back flush it like that?

Jiggz

Captain
Compare to the single flow, the dual flow has a better coverage for both holes to ensure no seawater gets sucked in. Again, increase fresh water pressure is the key to keep the seawater out, hence there will always be water leaking around the muffs. Albeit, it is fresh water which is what you want.