Removing Steering Cable Force 50hp

CreekCruiser

Seaman Apprentice
I am trying to remove my engine from the boat in preperation for my kingpin repair project. I have removed all the wiring, cabling, gas lines,etc. but I am having trouble with my steering cable. I have disconnected the cable from the steering arm but i am having trouble removing the cable from the steering tube. I can pull it almost all the way out, but the peice on the port side of the engine is giving me trouble. I am not exactly sure how the cable, steering tube interface works so that is throwing me off as well.

There is a large nut on the starboard side of the engine that I have backed of completely and it is my understanding that the two smaller nuts on each side of the steering tube should not be loosened as they are holding the engine to the transom clamp. Can anybody help me out? The steering wheel is removed along with the console, not sure if turning the steering wheel one way or the other will help.

Heres some pics:

Thanks, CC

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Turn the wheel all the way to the left(??) and draw the steering rod in.
The big aluminum nut, undo it and pull the cable to the right/stbd.
DO NOT hit the end of the cable. It will mushroom and it will NEVER fit through the steering tube on the motor.
You might need a torch to heat up the steering tube area.
You might have to remove the motor to pull the cable through the tube.
To make it easier undo the cables and wiring and fuel line.

Good luck!!

NYBo

Admiral
Clean up the end of the cable; you might need to file down any burrs that are interfering. As Jerry said, turn the wheel all the way to the left. You may also need to undo the mounting bolts and slide the motor as far to port as it will go. It may take some elbow grease to pull it through.

Jiggz

Captain
As Jerry mentioned, you need to turn the steering wheel so the steering rod will go all the way into the tube. Thereafter, you need to yank the steering cable from the large alum nut pushing it into the boat rear. On other boats, the cable could be secured to the inside of the boat, so you will need to free it to get more space.

CreekCruiser

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the advice guys, I was able to remove the steering cable by unbolting the engine and picking it up and laying it on the ground ( gotta love having a smaller engine,lol) while at the same time removing the steering cable from the boat. Once I got it on the ground I was able to pull the cable through the steering tube. Sweet! However, while removing the engine I noticed that the threaded nipple on the starboard side that connects the transom clamp to the engine was sheared. You can see in the pic that the starboard side clamp is just kinda hanging. No idea how to get that removed and replaced. That doesn't seem like a readily available part. Thanks again guys, CC