Tilt Lock Pin Broke on Swivel Bracket

ERock82

Petty Officer 1st Class
So, when I was out last, some of the metal that houses the tilt lock pin broke off probably from pounding around and being 20 years old. I am unable to lock/keep the motor in place and the only thing that holds it in place on the manual tilt and trim is a metal bracket that will come right off under any real pressure. This enables the motor to bounces up and down which could cause all sorts of problems. I've seen this bracket on ebay for $100 but the labor would be too intense for me to handle or afford right now. So, here is what I am thinking:

Either get industrial metal or plastic zip ties or straps to hold it down on the bracket so it can't move. I would just deal with one setting on the tilt (Probably 2nd from highest). This is my plan till winter than if the boat is worth keeping, I will figure a way to do it right. In hindsight this idea seems like it would work. Anyone know if it really would? I would just unstrap or cut zip ties to trailer home then place new ones next time out. Thanks!

Cap'nHandy

Seaman
Didja trailer holding the motor up with the tilt lock supporting the weight? :) I made a new one afer my shaft AND the stainless tube it rides in broke! Dremel, Stainless 1/4 inch bolt or 1/4 inch stainless rod. Fitted all together then welded at a local muffler and auto shop ( Free when I got my oil changed. ) Took me maybe an hour to fab it all up. If the shaft is in the over center "up" position, your reverse wont work. If the other way, you will have too much fun raising the motor cause you have to reach under and release that by hand, or with a tool, depeding on strength and dexterity.
Get the tube welded, or just try JB weld. ( Swap the tube around so the "broken" end is on the other side, not much stress there. The little C clip will have to come off, but when you lookit how it all goes together, the cam that the lift lock spring and rod go in, once in they cant really "fall out". ( Mine is evinrude, others may differ of course. ) Wish I woulda taken pictures of when I redid mine.

Hope that helps.

Blaine

Cap'nHandy

Seaman
Didja trailer holding the motor up with the tilt lock supporting the weight? :) I made a new one afer my shaft AND the stainless tube it rides in broke! Dremel, Stainless 1/4 inch bolt or 1/4 inch stainless rod. Fitted all together then welded at a local muffler and auto shop ( Free when I got my oil changed. ) Took me maybe an hour to fab it all up. If the shaft is in the over center "up" position, your reverse wont work. If the other way, you will have too much fun raising the motor cause you have to reach under and release that by hand, or with a tool, depeding on strength and dexterity.
Get the tube welded, or just try JB weld ( Swap the tube around so the "broken" end is on the other side, not much stress there. The little C clip will have to come off, but when you lookit how it all goes together, the cam that the lift lock spring and rod go in, once in they cant really "fall out". ( Mine is evinrude, others may differ of course. ) Wish I woulda taken pictures of when I redid mine.

Hope that helps.

Blaine

ERock82

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Blaine. Thanks for the response. I don't know why the pic is not showing up. I tried twice to upload it. Basically, my motor has two things broken:

1.) There is a lever that you lift up and down that is for "tilt" and "lock/run". the arm that this lever moves is broke in half, so basically it is not functional. My motor can swing freely up and down.

2.) There is a pin that you pull out when raising the motor up to trailer it. You pull the pin out and raise it high enough and when you let go it stays high up for the trailering. The metal that the pin sits in is completely broken off making this pin non functional whatsoever.

I HAVE been able to go in reverse like this and I was on the highest manual tilt setting. There are 5 positions.

NOW, are you saying that if I zip tie the motor down that I will not be able to use reverse??

Here is another question for you:

Does the "pin" that I mentioned being broken also lock the motor in place in addition to the "tilt lock lever"?

I can order a new piece to fix "# 1" which will allow me to use that but I cannot fix #2.

My goal is to not have the motor bounce up and down when I hit a wake which will cause internal damage in the motor.

Thanks.

ERock82

Petty Officer 1st Class
Didja trailer holding the motor up with the tilt lock supporting the weight? :) I made a new one afer my shaft AND the stainless tube it rides in broke! Dremel, Stainless 1/4 inch bolt or 1/4 inch stainless rod. Fitted all together then welded at a local muffler and auto shop ( Free when I got my oil changed. ) Took me maybe an hour to fab it all up. If the shaft is in the over center "up" position, your reverse wont work. If the other way, you will have too much fun raising the motor cause you have to reach under and release that by hand, or with a tool, depeding on strength and dexterity. Get the tube welded, or just try JB weld ( Swap the tube around so the "broken" end is on the other side, not much stress there. The little C clip will have to come off, but when you lookit how it all goes together, the cam that the lift lock spring and rod go in, once in they cant really "fall out". ( Mine is evinrude, others may differ of course. ) Wish I woulda taken pictures of when I redid mine. Hope that helps. Blaine
Any ideas?

Cap'nHandy

Seaman
Good evening. Long day. On the zip tie thing. I mean, if the lock that holds the motor DOWN does not engage, and you use reverse, it will lift the motor out of the water. You can only use reverese very slowly and carefully. On mine, there is a pin ( mine broke ) and a stainless tube that the pin does in. ( mine also broke ). Cant see the pic, but likely the same part, or similar function. I fabricated a new pin out of a 1/4 inch diameter stainless bolt, and used the shortend tube, but mine does not require pulling that out - the lock mechanism has a plate with a slot, and a notch in the slot that falls into place when in the "up" position. ( 74 evinrude 85 hp. )

Try and get some pics - or point to a place that has some.

Cheers.

Blaine

CreekCruiser

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Blaine. Thanks for the response. I don't know why the pic is not showing up. I tried twice to upload it.
Are you using photobucket to upload your pics? It is the easiest way to do it. Using the image tool from the forum does not work for some reason. Once you have your pic in photobucket, there will be some sharing options. I think the one you are looking for is called "direct link" or something like that. Tap that and it will copy an image link to your clipboard. From there just paste that link into your message and it will show up as a picture in your post. Hope this helps.

wickware

Lieutenant
1. What size was your Pic? I suggest less than a meg in windows properties, w/o specs.
2. A brief list of steps used to attach if you have time. Use upload icon left of “A”, Sel Pic.
3. “I think” I have learned a little about adding attachments in the upgrade. I think at times!
4. It still seems to be challenge vs the old solid sys. Try med size. Disregard closing error.
6. A little experimenting and previewing before posting is work but usually works.
5. Good Pics are hard to beat when sharing an issue.
6. IMO, We need an email address “Just to send attachments to” until this process is friendly.