1987 Force 125 flywheel stuck

vadimred13

Recruit
Haven't had any major problems with my boat until now. I ran out of gas a couple of months ago, and boat started acting a little funny. I ran out of gas AGAIN maybe a month ago, and more problems started developing. The motor wouldn't idle for longer than a couple of seconds, and starting it was tricky. I'd have to pop in neutral, throttle up, start, and then quickly pop out of neutral and gun it. If I tried to accelerate too slow, the motor would die. Eventually, the motor stopped starting, and now, it doesn't even turn over. I mention all this because it might be related to my current problem.

Now, it doens't turn over, just clicks. I tested the battery with a multimeter, and it looks good. I replace the spark plugs with new ones. I read about doing a manual start, but the flywheel is stuck and wont budge. I'm guessing that this is my problem. It is supposed to be free moving, correct? The starter is engaged to the flywheel. Is this supposed to be like this? I would imagine that the started would need to pop up and engage the flywheel only when you start the motor, but it's always engaged.

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

Sorry, but it sounds like either the powerhead or the lower unit is seized.

vadimred13

Recruit
Thanks for the quick reply NYBo. I'll start looking at the lower unit, and then I'll move on to the powerhead.

NYBo

Admiral
Another thought: The motor may be hydrolocked. Remove all the sparkplugs and try cranking it again. Take which cylinders spit out water, if any.

vadimred13

Recruit
I did try to crank it with all the spark plugs removed earlier today - nothng came out of the cylinders.

Jiggz

Captain
So it cranks with the plugs off, this is an indication the starter is going bad or the battery has low charge. The starter is supposed to engage the flywheel only when it is energized and should disengaged when turned off. If it continues to stay engaged, make sure the return spring on the shaft is in place and intact. Also apply light grease between the pinion gear and the flywheel gear teeth.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Do a compression/ spark test.
If the flywheel is stuck?
The lower unit might have a problem.
Remove it and see if it allows the motor to turn.

vadimred13

Recruit
Sorry for the bad wording, Jiggz. It doesn't crank. I meant I tried to turn the key. The starter spring is intact. What happens is, the starter goes up and catches the flywheel, and moves it just a hair (enough for the starter to get stuck on it), and that's it. The flywheel won't move any more. I will try to apply some grease to see if it helps.

Good call on removing the lower unit, jerry. By eliminating that possibility, I can narrow down the problem. I can't really do a compression test, since I can't start the motor (can i do a compression test without starting the motor?). I'll try a spark test as well. Even though I just replaced the spark plugs, there could still potentially be a power problem. Good idea.

NYBo

Admiral
Your initial problem has nothing to do with spark or compression. You need to get that motor turning!
I have noticed that the starter gear remains engaged with the flywheel if the motor doesn't at least cough, making it spin faster than the start did. So I don't think that's a problem.

Last edited:

sjbs

Seaman
Can you turn the flywheel with a socket and ratchet on the flywheel nut with the spark plugs removed?

Jiggz

Captain
With the plugs off and there is no binding whatsoever, you should be able to turn the flywheel by hand with ease. Disengage the starter, with the plugs off try turning it by hand and if it still won't turn, dismount the LU and try again. If it turns, there is binding in the LU. If it still would not turn there is binding in the power head. Next step is to dismount the flywheel. A magnet might have fell and jammed the flywheel preventing if from turning.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
If removing the lower unit does not unstick the flywheel then you have no choice but to remove the head. Examine all four cylinders and pistons for signs of rust and damage. Given your description of how it did run, I think it more likely that you have one or more severely damaged pistons

Jiggz

Captain
You'll probably better off following Frank's suggestion of removing the head first which is far easier rather than the flywheel. And after re-reading your initial post, you most likely have a damage rings or piston in at least one of the cylinders. Try to save the head gasket if possible otherwise you will need a new one.

vadimred13

Recruit
Thanks for all the info guys! I have plenty of work for many weekends to come. I'll report back with progress.