1994 Force 120 Horse power Outboard Motor

jniewieroski

Recruit
My trim/tilt is not working. Relay switches appear to be working. I hear a clicking noise when I hit the up/down control buttons. I have been told that there is a release valve screw near the trim cylinder, but I can not find it in order to release the fluid pressure so that I can move the motor up to top off fluid and bleed the lines.
Anyone have a picture to show me the location of the the release valve screw???
I am 150 miles from nearest dealership, and my phone messages to that dealership have gone unanswered. Any other suggestion to get the trim/tilt working again??

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
It's not likely that your unit has a manual release valve. Those units are extremely rare. Sounds more like the trim motor itself is bad. Verify that you are getting 12 volts on the wires at the motor itself when you try to trim up or down. If you are getting 12 volts, then most likely the trim/tilt motor is bad.

jniewieroski

Recruit
Pnwboat, Thanks for your quick response! I should also mention that my down trim initial worked and the up trim did not. Someone has suggested that I check the fluid level and to top it off. He said that if there isn't sufficient fluid in the the system the motor will not work. I tried putting more fluid in, but am not sure how to bleed it off. Any comments or suggestions??

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
OK, try reversing the Tilt/Trim relays. There's two of them. One for going up, the other for going down. They unplug from the harness, so it's pretty easy to swap one for the other.

jniewieroski

Recruit
I did that when I first encountered the problem and they both worked for the trim down, but not the trim up. Again, someone said that if there was not enough fluid in the system that maybe why the trim up is not working. Also been told that there are fuse in the line after the relay switches, but not sure how to disconnect them to check out the fuses. How would I disconnect the lines to check the fuses??

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
You should have to disconnect anything to check the fuses if there are any. I don't have a detailed wiring diagram of your set up, but there should be a fuse on the coil mounting plate.

If you want to tilt the motor up but cannot due to hydraulic pressure, all you have to do is disconnect the line(s) going to the tilt cylinder. You'll definitely be low on fluid because it will leak out when you disconnect the lines. Be extremely careful when re-connecting the lines. It's very easy to get the fittings cross threaded. If that happens, the fitting will not seal and you may have to replace the whole assy., which is very expensive.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You motor came with 2 different kinds of t/t.
The older prestolite has a pressure relief valve.DO NOT TOUCH!!!!
Once you use it it's might not ever reseat and you'll be buying a new one.
The Mercury style might have a release valve maybe not, depending on the age.
The best way to get it down is to open one of the lines.